Monster Energy drink lawsuits are currently being filed on behalf of individuals who claim that they have suffered serious injuries such as heart attack, strokes and other cardiovascular events and even death after drinking Monster Energy. We are working with experienced Monster Energy drink lawyers across the country, who can file a Monster Energy lawsuit on your behalf and charge no fee until you obtain a settlement or award. Contact us 24/7 toll free or fill out a contact form online for a free (no obligation) case evaluation.
Energy Drink Health Risks: “Monster” Drinks Allegedly to Blame in Anais Fournier Heart Attack Death
ABC News | Published on Oct 23, 2012
Why Are There Monster Energy Drink Lawsuits?
Monster Energy drinks promote increased levels of energy, alertness and athletic performance. They do so by creating drinks with high doses of caffeine, herbal supplements and vitamins. Lawsuits have been filed against Monster Energy alleging that consumers suffered harmful, even deadly, symptoms after consuming the drinks and there are also claims that the manufacturer did not adequately warn about the risks of ingesting their product. So far, three lawsuits have settled.
What Symptoms Are Associated With Drinking Monster Energy?
Below are symptoms individuals have reported to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after consuming Monster Energy drinks:
- Abdominal pain
- Irregular heart rate
- Heart attack
- Chest pain
Have You Developed Side Effects from Monster Energy Drinks?
Call Today for a Free Case Evaluation!
What Lawsuits Have Settled?
Numerous Monster Energy drink lawsuits have been filed. Three lawsuits, filed because Monster Energy drinks allegedly caused injury, failed to warn of risks, or contained fatal amounts of caffeine, settled:
- August 2014 – A mother filed a lawsuit after her 16 year old son suffered a non-fatal heart attack after drinking Monster Energy. This was the first major case that went to trial. Monster Energy claimed that their drinks were safe, yet they settled the case and paid an undisclosed amount to the mother.
- April 2015 – A family filed a lawsuit after their 19 year old son died due to an irregular heart beat from allegedly consuming two cans of Monster Energy per day for three years. The lawsuit claimed that Monster Energy did not properly warn consumers about the risks of the drink. Monster Energy paid an undisclosed amount.
- April 2015 – A 42 year old husband died from allegedly consuming at least one can of Monster Energy every day for two weeks. The husband reportedly had 240 milligrams of caffeine in his system when he died. The lawsuit alleged that caffeine amounts in excess of 200 milligrams could be fatal. Again, Monster Energy paid an undisclosed amount to settle the case.
What Are Some Monster Energy Products?
|Monster Energy||Java Monster||Muscle Monster||Extra Strength||Rehab||Punch||Juice Monster|
|Monster Energy||Mean Bean||Chocolate||Super Dry||Tea + Lemonade + Energy||Bailers Blend||Khaos|
|Lo-Carb||Loca Moca||Vanilla||Anti-Gravity||Raspberry Tea + Energy||Mad Dog||Ripper|
|Absolutely Zero||Kona Blend||Strawberry||Tea + Pink Lemonade + Energy||Pipeline Punch|
|Unleaded||Irish Blend||Banana||Peach Tea + Energy|
|Zero Ultra||Cappuccino||Tea + Orangeade + Energy|
|Ultra Blue||Vanilla Light|
Is The Government Doing Anything About Monster Energy Drinks?
The FDA does not require Monster Energy to list the exact amount of caffeine on their drink labels because the drinks are classified as dietary or nutritional supplements and not food. In addition, the FDA requires the Nutritional Facts Panel on labels to include recommended dietary information for nutrients. However, ingredients such as caffeine are not considered nutrients by the FDA. Instead, caffeine is considered a natural chemical found in natural sources such as tea leaves and coffee beans. Therefore, Monster Energy may exceed FDA mandated caffeine limits for their drinks. But the ingredients and their amounts in these energy drinks are precisely the concern.
What Ingredients Are In Monster Energy Drinks?
The following are common ingredients found in Monster Energy drinks. Although many of these ingredients are found naturally, individuals should take caution in consuming large amounts at one time.
- Caffeine – One of the main ingredients in Monster Energy drinks. Caffeine increases alertness and can provide increased levels of energy by stimulating the central nervous system. The concern is large amounts of caffeine found in Monster Energy drinks. In addition, caffeine can also be synthetically manufactured. Synthetic caffeine has different effects on the body than natural caffeine and it is also unclear how it interacts with other ingredients.
- Glucose – A type of sugar that is a major source of energy for cells in the body.
- Guarana – Comes from a plant native to South America and is used to increase alertness and energy.
- Ginseng – A medicinal herb used to increase energy, relieve stress, and promote memory.
- Taurine – An amino acid that supports brain development and helps regulate salt and water levels in the blood. Studies indicate that it may increase athletic performance and mental alertness, but this has not been verified.
Timeline of Monster Energy Drink Events
- August 15, 2012 – Monster Energy announces that they are being investigated by a state attorney general’s office when a 14 year old girl died from an irregular heartbeat after consuming two Monster Energy drinks.
- October 22, 2012 – The family of the 14 year old girl files a lawsuit against Monster Energy alleging that she died from “caffeine toxicity.”
- January 4, 2013 – Monster Energy was defending against numerous class action lawsuits.
- July 12, 2013 – Family files wrongful death lawsuit against Monster on behalf of 19 year old son who died in 2012 from allegedly consuming Monster Energy.
- August 1, 2014 – First case and trial ends after Monster settles for an undisclosed amount.
- April 2015 – Two lawsuits filed after men died from allegedly drinking Monster Energy settled for undisclosed amounts.
Why Contact Us?
If you or someone you know has suffered symptoms after consuming Monster Energy drinks, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering, among other losses. We are working with experienced Monster Energy drink lawyers, who handle these cases. There is no legal fee unless you receive a settlement or award. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us toll free at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out our contact form online.