NuvaRing side effects can include heart attack, stroke and blood clots. We are working with some very experienced Nuvaring lawyers across the country, who can file a nuva ring lawsuit on your behalf and charge no legal fee until you receive a settlement or award. Contact us for a free consultation either online or call us toll free.
NuvaRing Side Effects
- Thrombophlebitis: Inflammation caused by a blood clot in the veins. Symptoms include: swelling of the affected area, pain in the affected area, redness, warmth, and tenderness to the touch over the affected area. This condition requires quick medical treatment and can be life-threatening.
- Venous Thrombosis (with or without embolism): When a blood clot forms in the vein and breaks off into the blood stream it is considered an embolized venous thrombosis and is dangerous.
- Pulmonary Embolism: This is when a main artery of the lung is blocked by a clot that has moved from another part of the body to the lung. Symptoms of this include: difficulty breathing, chest pain, or feelings of palpitations. This is extremely dangerous and can lead to a collapsed lung.
- Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack): This occurs when the blood flow to your heart is blocked for long enough that a portion of the heart muscle is damaged. Symptoms include: chest pain, weakness, indigestion, or a feeling that someone is sitting on your chest.
- Cerebral Hemorrhage (Stroke): It occurs when the blood flow to your brain is stopped for long enough that a portion of the brain is damaged. Symptoms may vary depending on where in the brain the stroke is, but can cause the person to be unaware of their surroundings, weak, unable to raise an arm or move a leg. It may also cause difficulty in speaking, walking, and dizziness.
- Hypertension: Hypertension is the medical term for high blood pressure. Most times, there are no symptoms of high blood pressure, and it requires a blood pressure reading from a doctor. Untreated, it can cause heart disease and kidney problems. At times, the symptoms may include: headache, nausea, confusion, or nosebleeds.
- Gallbladder Disease: When something in your body blocks the flow of bile to the gallbladder, it can cause gallbladder disease. Symptoms include: severe pain under the right side of the rib cage, radiating pain throughout the back, upper abdomen pain, nausea, vomiting, and pain that worsens with deep breaths. These attacks are common and can last anywhere from 15 minutes to 15 hours.
- Hepatic Adenomas: This is a tumor of the liver that is non-cancerous, but can rupture or bleed and become cancerous. The symptoms can be pain in the upper right part of the stomach. These tumors are generally caused by contraceptives and surgery is recommended for their removal.
Other alleged side effects include: stomach cramps, breast enlargement or tenderness, changes in menstrual cycle and irregular spotting and bleeding, bloating and fluid retention, infertility, weight changes, change in appetite, rash, depression, anxiety, and hair loss.
NuvaRing Medical Studies
NuvaRing Study - PDF
In May 2012, the British Journal of Medicine published results from a medical study conducted by Danish doctors who analyzed data submitted by over 1.6 million women during a 10-year period. The medical study compared the health consequences of hormonal contraceptives in women taking oral contraceptives versus those using contraceptive medical devices. The study found that women who took oral contraceptives were two times more likely to experience blood clot-related side effects than women who did not take any hormonal contraceptives. Additionally, women who used contraceptive medical devices such as vaginal rings were three times more likely to experience blood clot-related side effects than women who did not take any hormonal contraceptives. Ultimately, the study concluded that this contraceptive device increased the risk of venous thrombosis by 48 percent.
In June 2012, the New England Journal of Medicine published a hormonal contraceptive medical study that reported unfavorable results for NuvaRing and basically affirmed those findings that had been reported in the British Journal of Medicine study. This study focused on hormonal contraceptives that contain estrogen and progestins. The results confirmed that contraceptives containing progestins such as desogestrel and gestodene increased the risk of venous thrombosis. Nuva ring contains the progestin desogestrel, which increases a woman’s risk of thrombosis and blood clot-related side effects.
FDA NuvaRing Reports
The FDA has received over 5,000 reports of adverse effects following patient use of this medication. In fact, the device is included in the class of vaginal ring contraceptives that the FDA has warned can increase the risk of blood clots by 56 percent. In 2010, FDA data and an investigative television program revealed that there had been 40 deaths linked to this contraceptive.
In 2008, the first NuvaRing lawsuit was filed against the device’s manufacturer. Since then, many additional lawsuits have been filed. Merck denies ever concealing any health risks and downplaying the drug’s associated risk of death. Although the company makes these statements, patients have ultimately died from use of this product. Even healthy people, who are non-smokers exhibiting no risk factors for stroke, have suffered strokes after use of this device. Furthermore, healthy young people 20 years of age have been reported to have suffered from pulmonary embolism or deep vein thrombosis, diseases that are generally associated with older people or people in poor health. Health care professionals continue to prescribe this product even though these serious risks are involved. Most people learn of this information far too late, at a point after they have already been injured.
Lawsuits against Merck allege that this ring is a defective product and the company did not adequately warn consumers of its associated risks. Specifically, many lawsuits claim Merck overstated the benefits of device use, while understating its risks. Advertisements market the device to women as a safe and convenient alternative to birth control pills. However, the advertisements fail to sufficiently warn women of the potentially dangerous side effects. These cases against Merck have become so numerous that all federal lawsuits have been consolidated in a process known as multidistrict litigation.
Elements of a NuvaRing Claim
In order to prove that you have an injury that should be compensated for by the pharmaceutical company, you must show that the drug either did not have adequate warnings, was defective in the condition it was put on the market in, or that the form of the drug that you took was in some way defective. The next thing you have to prove is that the drug caused the side effect or disease that you were diagnosed with.
Often times, many different experts and medical opinions may be needed to prove these elements. You will need the opinion of your physician and medical experts. Experts may be brought in to prove that the drug is in fact defective. These lawsuits are extremely time-consuming and detailed-oriented, but if your claim is valid, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
About the Manufacturer of This Drug
In October 2001, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this drug for sale on the market. Since approval, the contraceptive medical device has made substantial profits for Merck. In 2011 alone, it generated $600 million in sales for the pharmaceutical company. The device is a form of birth control that releases a low dose of estrogen and progestin into the blood stream. It prevents ovulation and is delivered in a once monthly ring that gets inserted into the patient. Many women are drawn to the drug because it is easy to use and they do not have to remember to take a pill daily.
Recently, there has been a lot of information published suggesting that NuvaRing should never have been approved. The problem with this device is that it entered the market with inadequate warnings of how truly dangerous it is. Numerous women have been seriously injured by the drug and are bringing legal action against Merck. Approximately 1,000 people have filed suit against the company alleging serious injury as a result of use of the device. These women are frustrated not only because they have been harmed by this medication, but also because if they had been informed of its risks, the resulting complications could have been avoided by simply choosing to use another method of birth control.
Some less dangerous birth control alternatives include: spermicide, abstinence, cervical caps, vaginal sponges, diaphragms, condoms, birth control pills, birth control patches, IUDs, injections, and emergency contraceptives.
Although many studies have been published regarding the dangers of this device, doctors still continue to prescribe it to young women looking for birth control. They prescribe it to young women without explaining all of the possible serious risks, and in spite of the fact that there are much safer alternatives.
These complications are entirely preventable, yet medical professionals continue to take on these risks unnecessarily. Over the past few years, physicians have continued to write approximately 5.5 million NuvaRing prescriptions annually. Merck, as the producer of the ring, should be held accountable for the company’s lack of regard for the health and safety of women who are prescribed this medication.
Contact the Law Offices of d'Oliveira & Associates
If you or a loved one has suffered injury due to use of this contraceptive, you may want to speak with an injury attorney regarding a potential claim. A lawyer familiar with new developments in the investigation of this device may be able to help you make important personal and legal decisions. d’Oliveira & Associates is working with some of very well-qualified NuvaRing lawyers across the country who have a wealth of experience handling these types of cases.
Call d'Oliveira & Associates at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for your free legal consultation.