If you have ever been involved in a motorcycle accident, you understand just how painful and stressful the aftermath can be. After treating any injuries and taking time to rest, many people who have been in these circumstances ask themselves, “What do I do now?” We here at d’Oliveira and Associates want to offer some tips to help make this process move smoothly and efficiently to get you the compensation you deserve. Of course, it is vital that you select a reliable Rhode Island motorcycle accident lawyer to help make this process happen.
What Should I Do After Being Involved In a Motorcycle Accident?
- Seek Medical Treatment Immediately: You may have already gone to the hospital after your accident. If not and you’re experiencing pain, make sure you see a doctor. Your health is of the utmost importance.
- Collect Your Documents: You or a loved one should sit down and arrange the insurance documents you have after the accident. Know the exact parameters of your policy. If your accident involved another vehicle, be sure to have the driver’s insurance information as well. Collect the police report from your accident as well.
- Call Your Insurance Company: If you haven’t reported the accident, make sure to do so. Don’t give them a statement if they ask. Even your own insurance company may not have your best interests at heart. It’s your legal right to say, “No.”
- Contact an Attorney: Your injury may come with more than just physical side effects. Medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering can change your life after an accident. So contact an attorney and get what’s fair after an accident.
What Should I Say When Talking to the Other Driver’s Insurance?
We recommend that you avoid talking to the other driver’s insurance company as much as possible. They are solely concerned with their bottom line – not your wellbeing. So it’s important to keep the following in mind if they contact you:
- Never provide a recorded statement – they’ll attempt to use it against you!
- Don’t give them medical authorization
- Don’t discuss your medical condition with them
- Don’t try to settle your case alone
- Don’t agree to meet with them
There’s no benefit in meeting with the other driver’s insurance company. They’ll do their best to force a cheap settlement on you, and you could be left holding the bill for your injuries.
Let our attorneys go to work for you. We handle insurance companies, so you can focus on getting better. For over 20 years, we’ve been helping injured motorcyclists get the fair compensation they deserve.
Contact a Rhode Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact one of our experienced Rhode Island motorcycle accident lawyers. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. No fees are received unless you win your case. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out our contact form online.