Tekturna side effects include kidney problems, strokes, and other life-threatening complications. We are working with some of the more experienced Tekturna attorneys across the country and a Tekturna lawsuit can be filed on your behalf. There is no fee until you receive an award or a settlement. Contact us online or toll free anytime for your free legal consultation.
Tekturna, manufactured by Novartis, gained FDA approval in 1997 and is generally prescribed alone or in combination with other drugs to treat high blood pressure. This medication works within the kidneys to regulate the enzyme renin within the body and remove water from the blood. The renin regulation process narrows the blood vessels and helps stimulate the kidneys. Removing the water within the blood then decreases blood pressure to make it easier for blood to pass through the circulatory system.
Tekturna Side Effects
Tekturna was originally marketed to treat high blood pressure, but underwhelming sales numbers prompted the manufacturer to expand the drug’s use to treat type-two diabetes. Novartis launched the ALTITUDE clinical trial of the drug, which was halted upon discovery of severe long-term effects. The clinical trial actually revealed the medication was likely to increase the occurrence of non-fatal stroke, kidney complications, hyperkalemia (high potassium levels) and hypotension (dangerously low blood pressure). These side effects are detailed below:
- ACUTE RENAL FAILURE: Your kidneys remove waste from your body and help to balance the salt and water excretion in the body. Acute renal failure is when the kidneys suddenly stop working and those waste products begin to build up in your body.
- HEART ATTACKS: A heart attack is when part of your heart becomes damaged or dies due to a lack of blood flow. A clot or other blockage in one of the ventricles can also cause this.
- HYPERKALEMIA: This condition arises when there is too much potassium within the blood stream. The increased concentration of potassium within the blood stream leads to abnormal heart rhythm.
- HYPOTENSION: Hypotension is lower-than-usual blood pressure. Generally, this would occur when too much of the drug is administered.
- RENAL COMPLICATIONS: Renal complications occur when the kidneys are not functioning properly. Depending on the severity, this is commonly treated by dialysis or a kidney transplant.
- STROKES: Strokes occur when the brain is unable to get oxygen or blood for longer than a few seconds. This would normally occur if there was a blood clot in the brain or if the blood vessels are too narrow. Warning signs include: personality/mood/emotional changes, confusion or memory loss, clumsy motor coordination (i.e. difficulty walking, writing, balancing), lost or blurry vision, slurred speech, changes in sensation, decreased alertness, headache, dizziness, incontinence, muscle weakness, and tingling or numbness in the arms, legs, or face (although typically just on one side of the body).
- SYNCOPE: This is a form of fainting caused by the vagus nerve. Symptoms include: light-headedness, inability to speak, weakness, ringing in the ears, fuzzy/tunnel vision, and others.
Novartis is facing many lawsuits regarding this drug due to the serious side effects patient have been experiencing. In order to prove that you have suffered injury that should be compensated for by a drug manufacturer, you must prove that the dangerous medication either was defective in the condition it was put on the market in, did not have adequate warnings, or that this form of the drug was otherwise defective. Next, you have to prove the drug caused the side effect or disease you were diagnosed with.
To prove this, many different experts and medical opinions are required. You will need the opinion of your physician and other healthcare professionals. Experts are brought in to prove that the drug is in fact defective. These lawsuits are very time-consuming and detail-oriented, but those individuals who possess valid claims deserve to be compensated for their injuries. Hiring an experienced dangerous drug attorney can help you make important personal and legal decisions about how best to move forward.
Tekturna Medical Studies
A recent medical study has linked use of this medication to many life-threatening side effects. The study was actually cancelled after the results showed a very high incidence of strokes and kidney problems. The study involved over 8,000 patients with diabetes or kidney problems, and was intended to study the drug’s effect on patients with these conditions. However, after an independent monitoring committee learned of the extremely high rate of health risks and complications, the study was shut down. Most of the complications surfaced after patients had been using the drug for 18 to 24 months.
As a result of these findings, the FDA issued new warnings about use of this drug and its side effects.
About Tekturna’s Manufacturer
Tekturna is manufactured by Novartis. Novartis can be traced back to 3 companies, which joined together in 1996. Since then, Novartis has added more drugs to its pipeline and merged with various companies to become one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world.
Tekturna was created when researchers found that some of the older high blood pressure drugs increased renin production, which drives up blood pressure again. They found that this new medication, with the generic name of Aliskiren, was the first drug that could inhibit renin directly to lower blood pressure. The drug was approved in U.S. and the EU as the first new type of blood pressure medicine in more than a decade, to treat hypertension. However, in December of 2011, Novartis had to halt a clinical trial for the blood pressure medication after discovering the dangers it was causing to trial participants. These complications included: increased incidence of non-fatal stroke, renal complications, hyperkalemia, and hypotension in patients with diabetes and renal impairment. Since the cancellation of this clinical study, lawsuits against Novartis have been increasing and the drug’s sales numbers have been decreasing so much that they are trying to sell the drug to another company or abandon it altogether.
Tekturna and Novartis Corruption
Novartis, as a company, has faced pressure from investigators concerning its marketing techniques. In the last few years, Novartis has been subpoenaed by federal prosecutors in Kentucky about its sales practices, received demands for information regarding its marketing techniques from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New York, and has been investigated by U.S. prosecutors in Texas regarding its exports and business dealings with Iran and other trade-restricted nations.
These multiple investigations of the company regarding its questionable marketing and sales practices, including how it paid health-care providers, are not the first of their kind. In 2010, just before the current investigations began, the drug manufacturer plead guilty to charges brought by the U.S. Department of Justice that the company was giving kickbacks to doctors prescribing the drug, Trileptal, for “off-label” and unapproved uses. Novartis was fined over $420 million.
Since the FDA has issued new warnings for this high blood pressure medication, the prompt cancellation of an internal study revealing a significant amount of severe to fatal side effect reports, the investigations into company marketing practices, Novartis is once again having to defend its actions. In light of the company’s past improper marketing, new investigations are lending support to the current lawsuits claiming that Novartis failed to properly warn them about the dangerous Tekturna side effects.
Contact the Law Offices of d’Oliveira & Associates
If you or one of your loved ones has been injured by Tekturna, you should speak with a Tekturna Lawyer attorney about a potential claim. A defective drug lawyer familiar with new developments in the investigation of this high blood pressure medication may be able to help you make important personal and legal decisions. d’Oliveira & Associates is working with experienced pharmaceutical litigation attorneys who have are well-versed in handling these types of cases and could assist you with yours.
Please call d’Oliveira & Associates at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.