If you have been assaulted at hotel and it was due to the owner not providing enough security, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. Normally there is insurance coverage available. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, contact us 24/7 toll free or fill out a contact form.
Have You Been Assaulted or Injured Due To A
Hotel’s Inadequate Security?
Call 800-992-6878 For a Free Case Evaluation.
When Are Hotels Responsible for Assaults?
Hotels are not always responsible for assaults that occur at their property, but they have a legal duty to make sure that their buildings, common areas, and individual units are safe for their residents and guests and they must protect their guests from foreseeable crimes. If the hotel knew or had reason to know that crimes could occur or had occurred at that place, but they didn’t take precautions to protect guests, they may be responsible for your injuries.
Examples of steps that a hotel could have taken to protect its guests include:
- Adding, fixing, or replacing security cameras throughout the property, especially in common areas and parking lots.
- Adding, fixing, or replacing inadequate lighting in rooms and common areas.
- Hiring trained security guards to monitor the hotel and its parking lot.
- Installing emergency call boxes or other methods of summoning emergency help.
What Types Of Injuries Can You Be Compensated For?
Common hotel injuries stemming from inadequate security are kidnapping, rape, sexual assault, robberies, and assault and batteries. These injuries occur when the criminal is able to move freely throughout the hotel and property and is not deterred by normal security measures. The criminal could be either a trespasser on the property, a visitor, or another guest.
What Should You Do If You’ve Suffered a Hotel Injury?
- Contact the police. The police will be able to launch an investigation to find the criminal and they will be able to document the incident, which can be used as evidence in a lawsuit.
- See a doctor. Make sure that you are treated for all of your injuries. Physical injuries are usually the least serious injuries you can suffer. Mental anguish, post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and other psychological injuries can last for weeks, months, years, or even a lifetime.
- Consider hiring an experienced inadequate security lawyer. They will be able to give you advice on whether or not you have a potential claim and how much compensation you deserve.
What Is Your Hotel Injury Case Worth?
Awards and settlements vary on a case by case basis. Typically, victims can be compensated for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, mental anguish and other losses. Since each case if different, you should contact an experienced inadequate security lawyer to see if you have a case and how much it may be worth. It is not uncommon for these cases to be worth a lot of money.
These awards can range into the multiple millions of dollars. For example, a hotel had to pay $1.1 million to a woman who was raped in a hotel restroom after a Massachusetts jury found the hotel to be responsible.
Who Pays You If You Win A Settlement?
In most cases, the hotel’s insurance company will pay in a settlement or award. Owners usually have insurance which covers third party criminal conduct that occurs on the property. Also, the criminal is responsible. However, it is often the case that the criminal is unknown, or does not have the ability to pay. An inadequate security lawyer will be able to find out whether the hotel’s insurance will cover your injuries.
How Much are the Legal Fees?
We charge the industry standard fee of 1/3 of the settlement or award, but you are only charged if you get money.
How Much Time Do You Have To File An Inadequate Security Lawsuit?
In both Rhode Island and Massachusetts you usually have to file a lawsuit within 3 years of the injury in order to be compensated. However, the time limit often varies, and only an experienced inadequate security lawyer will be able to say if you have a valid claim.
Why Contact Us?
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury due to inadequate security at a hotel, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. We can file a claim for you we won’t charge a fee unless you receive an award or settlement. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call our toll free number 24/7 or fill out a contact form on our website.