If you or a loved one have been exposed to Monsanto Roundup and later developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses. We are currently working with experienced Monsanto Roundup lawyers across the country. They may be able to file a Monsanto Roundup lawsuit on your behalf, and there is no fee until you receive a settlement or award. Contact us for a free (no obligation) case evaluation online or toll free at 1-800-992-6878.
What is Monsanto Roundup?
Monsanto Roundup has been in the news for years regarding a potential connection to cancer. Roundup is the world’s leading broad-spectrum herbicide used to kill weeds in residential and industrial locations. Monsanto is the largest producer of Roundup in the world and the main manufacturer and creator of Roundup products. Roundup is often used in industries, such as farming and agriculture, but is also a commonly used product among residential homeowners.
Why Is Monsanto Roundup Considered Dangerous?
Recent scientific advances have revealed that the main chemical in Monsanto Roundup, glyphosate, can be linked to non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. In fact, in 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) categorized glyphosate as being “probably carcinogenic to humans.” Even more recently, a 2019 report revealed a significant connection between glyphosate and cancer. The report stated that those exposed to glyphosate may have a 41% increased risk of developing cancers like non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
Bayer to appeal $2 billion verdict in Roundup cancer lawsuit
CBS This Morning | Aired: MAY 14, 2019
What Are the Serious Monsanto Roundup Health Risks?
The main cancer linked to Monsanto Roundup usage is non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is one of the more common cancer with a risk of 1 in 42 men or 1 in 54 women developing it. Depending on the type of lymphoma, the medical treatment can be extensive and costly. Unfortunately, there is no cure yet so many people who develop the cancer will not survive.
Some symptoms associated with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma include:
- Lymph Node Enlargement
- Swollen Abdomen
- Chest Pain
- Severe Coughing
- Difficulty Breathing or Shortness of Breath
- Fatigue or feeling tired
- Sudden Weight Loss
There are two main types of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma:
B-Cell. This is the more common type of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. B-cells act as the guardians in your body protecting it against germs by creating markers that label specific germs for destruction.
T-Cell. This is the less common type of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. T-cells actually destroy the germ cells that were marked by the B-cells for destruction to support the body’s immune system response.
What Is Glyphosate?
Glyphosate is one of the main chemicals used in Roundup. It is the ingredient that has been linked to a 41% increase of developing cancer with high exposure. Most farmers utilize Monsanto Roundup to kill weeds before the weeds can kill their crops. As a result, some of the crops also become contaminated with glyphosate. In particular, oat farmers utilize Roundup right before the oats are ready to harvest because it kills them quickly and allows for faster harvesting of the oats.
This was recently revealed by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) who produced a report showing unsafe levels of glyphosate in popular cereal brands after testing 21 different types. EWG designated a specific health benchmark that is safe for children to consume and only 4 out of the 21 brands met that safety benchmark. This has caused extreme public concern about the increased exposure to the public to Monsanto Roundup without even using the product.
Do You Believe Your Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma Was Caused By Monsanto Roundup?
Click Here for a Free (No Obligation) Consultation Today!
Why Are Some Monsanto Roundup Concerns Now Involving Food?
Originally, the only lawsuit regarding Monsanto Roundup was for extensive residential or industrial use of the weed killer with a confirmed diagnosis of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. After the recent report regarding glyphosate in food, many are beginning to believe that lawsuits regarding contaminated food leading to cancer may be another area for potential lawsuits.
Monsanto Roundup Lawsuits and Recent Events:
- June, 2015: France announces that it plans to ban Roundup from being used in or around gardening centers, homes and gardens after it was found by local scientists to be a “probable human carcinogen.”
- February, 2016: A man from Hawaii filed a lawsuit stating that his diagnosis and rapidly-growing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma was allegedly caused by exposure to Roundup on a farm since 1997. Read more.
- March, 2016: A California wrongful death suit was filed by the widow of a farmer who had used Monsanto Roundup on his crops. The suit alleged that he developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma due to his exposure to Roundup, from which he died. Read more here.
- April, 2016: A California federal court refused to dismiss a lawsuit involving a man who claimed that his extended use of Roundup led to his non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Read the complaint here.
- June, 2016: The European Union called for a recall of Roundup after several members of the union refused to allow the use of Roundup in their countries.
- July, 2017: California state health officials listed the main ingredient in Monsanto Roundup as a potentially cancerous agent and banned release of the chemical into public waterways.
- April, 2018: After scientific expert testimony, a California appeals court ruled that the State of California can list glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup, as a possible cancer causing chemical. The Court also upheld the state ban on discharging Roundup into public waterways. Read more.
- August, 2018: San Francisco Jury awards $289 Million dollar verdict to a former groundskeeper who developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma after years of using Roundup. The makers of Monsanto Roundup continue to refuse to warn the public about the dangers of the chemicals used to make the product.
- May, 2019: California Jury awards $2.055 Billion dollar verdict to a couple who developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma after 30 years of use of the Monsanto Roundup product on their property. The makers of Monsanto continue to deny any connection between the chemicals in the Roundup and an increased risk of developing cancer. Read more
- June, 2019: Environmental Working Group (EWG) produced a report revealing unsafe levels of glyphosate in many cereals that are marketed to children like Honey Nut Cheerios. Read more
What Is The Science Behind Monsanto Roundup Linked to Cancer?
- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers (2001): Canadian study found a dose-response relationship between glyphosate exposure and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Occupational and Environmental Medicine (2003): American study of over 3,400 farmworkers in the Midwest found higher rates of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma associated with glyphosate exposure.
- International Journal of Cancer (2008): Swedish study concluded that exposure to glyphosate doubled the risk of developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma within less than 10 years.
- International Journal of Cancer (2014): Scientists found a significant link and association between workers of a farmland exposed to Monsanto Roundup and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- World Health Organization (2015): A study done by the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer categorized glyphosate as being “probably carcinogenic to humans.”
- Mutual Research Review (2019): A study found a link between glyphosate and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Specifically, consuming glyphosate can raise cancer risks of those exposed by 41%.
What Did the Reuters Investigation Report Reveal?
The Reuters Investigation really involved the detailed legal analysis of court documents from the lawsuits against Monsanto for its harmful Roundup product. Through this analysis, Reuters discovered texts and emails between Monsanto employees, as well as, employees of the FDA.
Some are even concerned about the corroboration between the company and politicians, especially after the current U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, Sonny Perdue, announced, “If we are going to feed 10 billion people by 2050, we are going to need a lot of the tools at our disposal, which includes the use of glyphosate.” Even the government seems unconcerned about the harms of glyphosate. That leaves it up to the courts to tell a world-wide company that selling their cancer-causing products is wrong.
Who is Most at Risk to Develop Cancer From Roundup?
Many workers in the agricultural field are exposed to large amounts of Monsanto Roundup, as it is usually used to keep weeds from growing in the fields of farms. These workers include:
- Industrial farm workers
- Turf workers
- Independent farmers
Why Contact Us?
If you or a loved one believe you developed non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma due to exposure to Monsanto Roundup, you should find an experienced Monsanto Roundup lawyer. You could be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering, among other losses. We are working with experienced Monsanto Roundup lawyers across the country who are investigating these cases. There is no fee unless you receive an award or settlement. Contact us toll free at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for a free (no obligation) case evaluation.