If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income (if any), pain and suffering and other losses. Our experienced New Bedford car accident lawyers charge no fee until you receive a settlement or award. Feel free to contact us for a free (no obligation) case evaluation at 508-984-8400 or fill out a contact form online.
New Bedford Car Accidents: What You Need To Know
- What Is The Legal Fee For A New Bedford Car Accident Lawsuit?
- Does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Apply to My New Bedford Car Accident?
- Do I Need Insurance Liability Coverage In New Bedford?
- What Am I Entitled To After My New Bedford Car Accident?
- What If The Other Motorist Doesn’t Having Insurance?
- Do I Get Payments For Property Damage?
- What Should I Say To My Insurance Company?
- Do I Need An Experienced New Bedford Car Accident Lawyer?
- Statistics For New Bedford Car Accidents
- Why Hire d’Oliveira & Associates?
- How To Contact Our New Bedford Car Accident Lawyers
- Driving Directions
- Massachusetts Office Locations
Attorney D. Robin Gouveia is the managing attorney of our New Bedford office and has been practicing personal injury and social security disability law in New Bedford for over 20 years. Before law school, Robin worked as an insurance company claims adjuster for several years and has great insight into how the insurance companies evaluate personal injury claims. Robin knows what your case is worth and how to settle it for you quickly. We are committed to giving clients in New Bedford WOW customer service.
Will I Be Charged A Legal Fee For My New Bedford Car Accident Lawsuit?
We charge the industry standard, which is 1/3 of your settlement or award. We will not charge you any legal fees until you receive a settlement or award for your injuries. We will also pay for out of pocket expenses, such as to obtain medical records and we obtain these from you if and when you receive an award.
Does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Apply to My New Bedford Car Accident?
If the vehicle that you were injured in is registered in MA, PIP is an available option for you. Personal Injury Protection or PIP is most commonly referred to as “no fault” insurance. This means that even if you were considered at fault for the accident, you are able to obtain PIP benefits from the vehicle you were in, so long as the car is registered in MA.
This will pay you or anyone else injured in your automobile for medical bills, funeral expenses, and 75% of lost wages. There is a maximum payment which is capped at $8,000 per person injured. If you have health insurance, such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield, the no fault insurance carrier will be responsible for only the first $2,000 of the medical bills, and your private health insurance company may pay for the rest. If they do not pay for the rest, PIP must pay the balance. Our experienced New Bedford car accident lawyers here can walk you through this complex law in Massachusetts.
What, If Any, Insurance Liability Coverage is Required In New Bedford?
Massachusetts requires that every automobile have a minimum insurance liability coverage of $20,000/$40,000. This means that the insurance company will pay up to $20,000 to each injured person, but no more than $40,000 total for all people hurt in the accident. Some car owners do carry more than these minimum limits.
Under this coverage, only the insurance company for the person who is at fault pays. This will compensate any injured people for lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering and mental anguish, among other losses. In order to receive a settlement for pain and suffering with this coverage, you must have at least $2,000 in medical bills beforehand or have sustained a broken bone or a scar.
What Is My New Bedford Car Accident Case Worth?
If you were injured in a car accident and it was not your fault, you may be entitled to medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. The most difficult damages to prove to the insurance company is pain and suffering. As your lawyers, we will negotiate with the insurance company to receive the best possible settlement for your pain and suffering. This is where our 30 years of experience as New Bedford car accident lawyers becomes a major benefit for our clients. Read more.
What Are The Consequences For The Other Motorist Not Having Insurance?
In some cases, a car accident is caused by a driver who either has no insurance or is a hit-and-run driver. Either way, these types of drivers are considered “uninsured automobiles.” Although uninsured, there are a few steps you can take to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. You may collect uninsured motorist benefits from the automobile you were in at the time the accident happened, and your insurance company is not allowed to raise your rates if you were not at fault. In some cases you may even be able collect uninsured motorist benefits from your automobile insurance company, or potentially any other automobiles insured and owned by members of your household. Read more.
Are Payments Available For Property Damage?
In order to ensure you receive the proper amount of property damages, it is best to have an insurance appraiser examine your vehicle at an auto body shop with your auto body repair person present. The repair employee should be able to discuss the damage to your car with the claim adjustor directly. This is the best way to proceed because then the same person who gave the estimate will also be the one fixing your vehicle. This helps ensure the insurance company gives you the appropriate award to repair your vehicle. Read more.
Any Tips Regarding Contact With My Insurance Company?
- Contact your insurance agent right away after the accident. Insurance companies require you to file a claim within a reasonable amount of time after the accident. You have the best chance to recover compensation if you do not wait to file your claim.
- Review your insurance policy to determine the coverage you have in order to file the proper claims. To make it even easier, an experienced New Bedford car accident lawyer will guide you through this process.
- When reporting to your insurance company, describe the accident in detail. Specifically, you want to ensure you include the insurance information of the other parties involved in the accident.
- Be sure to keep any and all paperwork having to do with your claim. This can include any medical bills, repair bills, and other papers or documents of expenses.
- We recommend that you do not speak to the opposing party insurance company without speaking with a qualified New Bedford car accident lawyer first. If you talk to the opposing parties insurance company be sure that you: DO NOT talk about the specifics as to how the accident occurred, DO NOT agree to any offers to settle your claim until your doctor has cleared you from medical treatment and you are no longer in pain, DO NOT sign any insurance waiver or release until your doctor has cleared you from treatment and you are no longer in pain… Read more.
Why Do I Need An Experienced New Bedford Car Accident Lawyer?
The answer is very simple. The insurance company’s objective is to offer you as little money as possible in order to settle your case. There are several things that a skilled lawyer can do to ensure that you receive the best settlement possible for your case. This can include supervising your medical treatment to ensure that your doctors ordered the correct tests, collecting and monitoring your medical records to make sure they document any and all pain and suffering you have endured, guiding you regarding all aspects of your claim, and most importantly, negotiating with the insurance company to see that you receive the greatest possible settlement for your injuries.
New Bedford Car Accident Statistics
Why Should I Hire d’Oliveira & Associates?
- Our firm has been handling car accident cases for over 30 years.
- Every one of our attorneys here has at least 20 years’ experience in dealing with car accident cases.
- Your initial phone call will be answered no matter when you call, 24/7.
- We will offer you a free (no obligation) consultation.
- We are accessible to come to you wherever you are, if either you prefer this or are unable to come into one of our 15 offices in RI and MA.
- We do not charge any legal fees unless you receive a settlement or award.
- We will make sure to return your phone calls as soon as possible.
- We know all the different tricks the insurance company adjustors will try to use to offer you less money than what your case is really worth.
Contact Our Knowledgeable New Bedford Car Accident Lawyers Today!
Massachusetts Office Locations
- 408 Bedford St
Fall River, MA, 02720
- Phone: (508) 677-0500
- 930 Kempton St
New Bedford, MA 02740
- Phone: (508) 984-8400
- 130 Liberty St
Brockton, MA 02301
- Phone: (508) 436-7000
- 123 Broadway
Taunton, MA 02780
- Phone: (508) 822-6373
- N Main St
Attleboro, MA 02703
- Phone: (508) 223-1133
- 2510 Cranberry Hwy STE. 5
Wareham, MA 02571
- Phone: (508) 295-1230