Bicycling is one of the most popular sports in the country with as many as 67 million people, who all together ride 15 billion hours every year. Many of these people are riding bicycles as a form of exercise or recreation, and others are using it as a means of commuting to work or school. Unfortunately, bicycling can be very dangerous.
In the year 2011, 677 people were killed in cycling accidents, and 48,000 were injured. This shocking number makes up two percent of motor vehicle deaths. Head injury is the greatest risk that a cyclist will be affected by. This is something that has the potential to be prevented with something as simple as wearing the proper protection, and taking precautions.
With the weather breaking, spring and summer around the corner it is important to remember safety when bicycling. There are easy to follow steps and precautions to keep in mind when bicycling to minimize the risk of crashes and injury.
Steps To Take to Prevent Bicycle Injuries:
- Obey Traffic – You should always follow the rules of the road, just like other vehicles.
- Always Wear a Helmet – The most important step to take. Wear a properly designed and sized helmet to prevent head injury.
- Don’t Ride Against Traffic – Motorists are not looking or expecting bicyclists riding on the wrong side of the road and this could be dangerous. Always go with the flow of traffic.
- Use Hand Signals – Let motorists know where you are going. In some states this is the law, and is a good way to protect you.
- Dress Appropriately – Wear brightly colored clothing or reflectors, to make sure that you are totally visible to motorists, especially at dusk and at night.
- Pay Attention – Never operate a bicycle while wearing headphones or making a phone call. You should have your attention on the road at all times.
Wearing a helmet, and wearing it properly is the most effective way to prevent life threating injury while riding your bicycle. However just because you are wearing a helmet does not mean that you are completely protected, you need to make sure that you are using your helmet properly.
- Make Sure That You Select the Correct Helmet – Helmet sizes, shapes, and efficiency can vary not all helmets are the same. It is crucial to make sure that you have the right helmet for you. This can include the size and shape of the helmet. It is also important to make sure that the helmet that you are using is made specifically for bicycling, because here are many different helmets made for different sports. You also want to make sure that you are wearing a helmet that has been approved for use by safety organizations that approve helmets, like Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), or the Snell Memorial Foundation.
- Wear Your Helmet Correctly – Make sure that it is fastened correct and the straps are tight. You may also want to shake your head to make sure that the helmet stays in place, to ensure that it is properly on your head and comfortable for you to wear for the length of your trip.
- Make Sure Your Helmet is in Good Condition – you should be testing your helmet regularly to make sure that it is in a functioning condition. Helmets in general should be replaced every five years or so to ensure that they are in working order. If your helmet has been involved in a n accident then it should be replaced. Also if you outgrow your helmet you should purchase a new one.
- Most Importantly Wear Your Helmet at ALL Times While on the Road – Never remove your helmet for any reason because an accident can occur at any time. This will guarantee that you are being protected at all times.
Have You Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident in RI or MA?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. You should contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer who is knowledgeable in handling these particular types of cases. The attorneys at d’Oliveira and Associates have over 25 years of experience handling personal injury cases and can help you make important legal decisions regarding your accident.
Feel free to contact us at 1-800-992-6878, stop by one of our 15 locations, or fill out a contact form for a free legal consultation. There are no legal fees until you receive a settlement or award.Johnston Personal Injury Lawyers | d’Oliveira & Associates
Johnston, RI 02919
Phone: (401) 490-3549