If you’re like most people, you know that texting while driving is dangerous. However, the fact that using GPS, particularly handheld GPS, is dangerous seems contrary to what common sense would indicate. Anyways, what is the point of GPS if you can’t use it while driving?
Counterintuitive it may be, but driving while using any hand-held device (for example your phone or GPS) is dangerous because it provides great distraction. Distraction causes car accidents and resulting injuries, death, and property damage.
Notable statistics related to driving distractions
- 80% of all car accidents are caused by distracted drivers.
- In comparison, drunk drivers cause 33% of all car accidents.
- About 6,000 people are killed as a result of distracted driving annually.
Driving tips to keep you and your family safe
- Use a bluetooth or other hands free device for telephone calls. Or better yet, don’t use your phone while driving. Never text while driving. Pull over.
- Pull off to the side of the road to check out maps and GPS or take/make calls.
- Let your passenger check out the GPS or handle telephone calls and texts.
- Secure pets.
- If your children need attention, pull off the road to care for them.
- When you drive, drive. Don’t take your eyes off the road to put on mascara or nail polish, read the newspaper, eat, take a phone call, text, use hand-held GPS, look at maps, or anything else. If you do, you risk your life and the lives of others.
Get help as soon as possible
If you or a loved one has been injured by a distracted driver, it is imperative that you seek legal help as soon as possible. Evidence must be preserved. Often memories fade and physical evidence is lost. As soon as you call the Law Offices of d’Oliveira & Associates, we will get to work investigating your case and preserving evidence. In addition, each state has a mandated time limit for filing distracted driver claims. If your case isn’t filed by the deadline, known as the “statute of limitations,” you will not be permitted to file it. This means that you will never recover financial compensation for your losses.
Where to get help
What do you do if you or a loved one has been injured by a distracted driver? Call the Law Offices of d’Oliveira & Associates now. Our lawyers represent families just like yours. We will work aggressively to assert your rights and get you the compensation you and your family need and deserve. Email us or call now for FREE case evaluation. For your convenience, our telephones are answered 24 hours a day and 7 days a week (1-800-992-6878).