On the best of days, going to the dentist is no fun. If you or a loved one is injured by dental malpractice, your day, or even the rest of your life, may change for the worse. The Rhode Island and Massachusetts Law Firm, the Law Offices of d’Oliveira and Associates, is prepared to help if you or a loved has been injured by a dentist or dental assistant. We will aggressively assert your case and can help you to get the compensation you so deserve.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional breaches a duty of care and that breach causes injury. In other words, medical malpractice means that the professional acted without due care or didn’t follow standard medical protocols (i.e. the medical professional was negligent).
There are Three Elements to a Successful Medical Malpractice Case
- A medical professional had a duty to exercise due care AND
- The medical professional failed to exercise due care AND
- Injury results.
What is Dental Malpractice?
Dental malpractice is a form of medical malpractice by a dentist or dental assistant. Dentists, like all medical professionals, are required to act with due care. If a dentist fails to act with due care and you are injured as a result, dental malpractice has occurred. And, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Types of dentists
All types of dentists must exercise due care when treating patients and are held accountable for any negligence that injures or kills a patient. Types of dentists include:
- General dentists (teeth maintenance)
- Orthodontists (teeth straightening)
- Periodontists (treatment of supporting structures of teeth)
- Prosthadontists (missing teeth and other clinical conditions)
What are Examples of Dental Malpractice?
- Wrongful death related to a dental procedure
- Pulling the wrong tooth
- Anesthesia related injury or death
- Any dental procedure that is unnecessary such as unnecessarily pulling a tooth
- Failure to diagnose oral cancer
- Failure to diagnose periodontal disease
- Failure to diagnose any condition of the teeth, mouth, or gums
- Failure to fully advise patient of the risks involved in any procedure
- Injury by a defective dental product
- Nerve damage causing difficulty tasting
- Nerve damage causing lasting numbness
- Negligent design or implantation of crowns, bridges, and implants
- Negligently performed procedures such as tooth extraction or root canals
- Infections caused by unsanitary tools, equipment, or conditions
- Failure to take complete medical history
- Any treatment which you did not consent to
Where can I get help if I’ve been Injured by a Dentist?
The Rhode Island and Massachusetts Law Firm, the Law Offices of d’Oliveira & Associates are prepared to help if you or a loved has been injured by a dentist or a dental assistant. We can help you to get the compensation payments you deserve. We understand what it takes to navigate the medical, legal, and insurance systems. We can handle all the tedious paperwork and all of the legal hoops so you don’t have to. Email us or call our Rhode Island and Massachusetts Law Firm for FREE confidential case evaluation. For your convenience, our telephones are answered 24 hours a day and 7 days a week (1-800-992-6878).