Traffic has thinned out during “stay home” orders for the prevention of the COVID-19 virus. With restrictions beginning to lift, some reports state we could see well over the average traffic volume on roadways this summer.
In a report published by Urgently, there was 41% less traffic on roadways in April 2020. A staggering 316 million people from nearly all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico were told by their local government officials to stay home to prevent further spread of the COVID virus.
The report goes on to state that this year’s summer driving season could well exceed the average. In fact, we could see spikes of up to 130% of historic volumes by mid-summer. These findings come from a survey asking what people’s plans were regarding travel this summer. Some of the statistics include:
- 22.8% stated they would use less public transportation
- Over 27% stated they intended to increase the use of their vehicle
- 33.5% plan to travel for summer vacation or holiday weekends
- 35.4% of these survey takers intend to travel at least 500 miles
- 21.1% of these survey takers intend to travel at least 1,000 miles
As the traffic volumes begin to increase, the rate of car accidents will also inevitably increase. It is more important than ever to be as safe as possible, especially if you plan to travel long distance. If you intend to travel for summer vacation, make sure to:
- Have your car looked at by a mechanic to ensure it is ready for the long trip.
- Plot your trip in advance.
- Take frequent breaks from driving to rest your eyes.
- If there is another person able to drive, take turns driving.
- Be alert for erratic drivers and maintain extra distance to improve reaction time.
- Bring plenty of water. Even with an AC on in the car, the sun is still probably on you and you must remain hydrated.
- If your car breaks down, you will be happy you brought the extra water!
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Today!
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings and pain and suffering, among other related losses. Whether you need a Rhode Island Car Accident Lawyer or a Massachusetts Car Accident Lawyer, d’Oliveira & Associates is ready to assist in any way we can. There is no charge and no fee to you unless we win your case and you receive a settlement or award. Contact us toll-free at 800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form online for a free (no obligation) case evaluation.