Each week we compile a summary of recalls, FDA warnings, market withdrawals and safety alerts that the public should be aware of for their safety and so that they can make informed decisions.
32 Recalls to be aware this week.
- Sciegen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Irbesartan Tablets, USP 75 Mg, 150 Mg, and 300 Mg Due to the Detection of Trace Amounts of NDEA (N-Nitrosodiethylamine) Impurity Found in The Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API).
- Janssen Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall for one lot of ORTHO-NOVUM 1/35 and two lots of ORTHO-NOVUM 7/7/7 Due to Incorrect Veridate Dispenser Instructions.
Recalled Irbesartan Tablets
- Subaru, Toyota recall 165,000 U.S. cars with defect that could lead to engine stalling. The recalled models include certain versions of the 2012-14 Subaru Impreza 4D, the 2012-13 Subaru Impreza 5D, the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, the 2013 Subaru BRZ and the 2013 Scion FR-S.
- BMW M3 and M4 recalled, in need of new driveshafts. The driveshaft flange is reportedly too weak for the 406 pound-feet of torque (or more) subjected to it, and may fail over time. Upon failure, the connection between the driveshaft and the flange could break, “resulting in a loss of propulsion,” according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Harley-Davidson issued a recall of 177,636 bikes after learning that clutch fluid may leak and cause loss of control. If the clutch cannot be disengaged, it can result in a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Yamaha Motor Corporation is recalling 1,902 model year 2015-2018 Yamaha SR400 motorcycles. The engine oil line flare nut may be insufficiently tightened, allowing oil to leak onto the rear tire and cause a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash.
Utility/Recreational Vehicles & Automotive Accessories:
- Forest River is recalling 1,785 model year 2019 Forest River Flagstaff and Rockwood recreational trailers. The brake mounting flanges on the torsion axles may be incorrectly oriented, which can result in premature brake failure, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Winnebago Towable is recalling 1,034 model year 2017-2019 Winnebago Minnie Drop recreational trailers. The liquid propane (LP) gas supply line may be missing p-clamps, allowing the supply line to contact the burner assembly on the refrigerator. This could cause the hose to melt, resulting in a gas leak, increasing the risk of a fire.
- Cub Cadet of Cleveland, Ohio, is recalling about 350 Cub Cadet Challenger 400 utility vehicles. The fuel tank’s neck can crack and cause fuel to leak, posing a fire hazard.
- CFMOTO Recalls Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles Due to Crash Hazard. The throttle pedal can be pushed past the throttle stop and not return to the idle position, posing a crash hazard.
Food, Beverage & Nutritional Supplements:
- Frito-Lay Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in Select Smartfood Delight Sea Salt Flavored Popcorn.
- Food Recall of Fit & Active Southwest Veggie Stuffed Sandwiches Due to Possible Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella Contamination in Vegetables.
- Red Square Foods recalls various meat and poultry products. The products contain eggs, milk, and/or wheat, known allergens not declared on the label.
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has tested retail packages of Nature Raised Farms Organic Gluten Free Grilled Chicken Strips produced by Suzanna’s Kitchen Inc. and found concentrations of thallium in the product.
- Shirley’s Cookie Company recalls ‘Chocolate Whoopie Pie‘. The product may contain peanuts, an allergen not declared on the label.
- Maribel’s Sweets Inc. Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk Allergens in Chocolate Bars.
- Barcelona Nut Company Recalls Roasted and Salted in Shell Pistachios Because of Possible Health Risk.
- For more than 2 1/2 years, management at the Colton, California facility of McCain Foods USA ignored positive test results for Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella, apparently choosing to ship the potentially contaminated vegetable and fruit products without conducting confirmation tests.
- Sofina Foods Inc. is recalling Janes brand Pub Style Chicken Burgers from the marketplace because of a risk of possible Salmonella contamination. According to the recall notice posted on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website, the recall was triggered by CFIA findings during its investigation into a foodborne illness outbreak.
- Procesadora La Hacienda, Inc., Recalls Beef Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination.
- Les Aliments O Sole Mio, Inc., Recalls Poultry Products Produced without Benefit of Inspection.
- Sirob Imports is recalling, Corrado, Orlando Imports, Nouri’s Syrian Bakery, Mediterranean Specialty Foods brand and Butera Fruit Market Curry Powder. The products contain elevated levels of lead.
- UBC Food Distributors recalls hot curry powder and curry powder. The products contain a high level of lead.
Infant & Children Products:
- Fantasia Accessories Recalls Slap Bracelets Due to Laceration Hazard; Sold Exclusively at Target. The slap bracelet’s metal wristband can pierce the protective fabric around it and expose sharp edges, posing a laceration hazard to young children.
Pet Food & Animal Products:
- Natural Life Pet Products Issues Recall of Dry Food Due to Elevated Levels of Vitamin D.
- Nutrisca Issues Recall of Dry Dog Food Due to Elevated Levels of Vitamin D.
Recalled Dry Dog Food
- Zeagle is recalling about 3,400 Zeagle Sport buoyancy control devices (BCDs) sold in the U.S. and Canada. Buttons on the Zeagle Sport BCD inflators can break or fracture leading to a rapid loss of air or auto inflation of the BCD, posing a drowning hazard to scuba divers.
- Yvolve Sports recalls electric skateboards. The tire on the skateboard can deflate, posing a fall hazard.
- Shimano North America Holding of Irvine, Calif., is recalling about 4,200 Lazer bicycle helmets. The helmets do not comply with the federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, posing a risk of head injury.
- Black & Decker Recalls Hammer Drills Due to Injury Hazard. The side handle sold with the drill can slip or break, leading to a loss of control of the tool, posing an injury hazard.
Recalled Hammer Drill
- MCS Industries Recalls Glacier Bay Medicine Cabinets Due to Laceration Hazard; Sold Exclusively at The Home Depot. The mirror can detach from the medicine cabinet door, posing a laceration hazard to consumers.
- Pain Relief Naturally Recalls Pain and Itch Relief Creams, Sprays and Gels Due to Failure to Meet Child Resistant Closure Requirement; Risk of Poisoning. The packaging is not child resistant as required by the Poison Prevention Packaging Act. The pain and itch relief creams, sprays and gels contain lidocaine, posing a risk of poisoning to young children if they put it on their skin or ingest it.
fda.gov, cspc.gov, usda.gov, reuters.com, safekids.org, goodhousekeeping.com, consumeraffairs.com, foodsafetynews.com, usatoday.com, autoblog.com, powersportsbusiness.com, roadandtrack.com, uscgboating.org, wemakeitsafer.com, guns.com