Motorists are being warned to exercise care while navigating the new lane patterns on the Interstate 95 near the Providence Place Mall as part of construction work on the Providence Viaduct project. According to a WPRI news report, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation has re-introduced lane changes signaled by big overheard signs. WPRI reported that some motorists are still confused about how to navigate the lanes and were either stopping in the lane of travel or cutting each other off as they neared the lane split. This confusion in lane pattern changes coupled with heavy day-to-day commuter traffic in the area could easily lead to auto accidents resulting in Providence car accident lawsuits.
How Common are Car Accidents in Construction Zones?
Highway construction zones can pose serious dangers to drivers. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) reports that in the past 5 years 200,000 people have been injured in car accidents that occurred in construction zones. It is also reported that there were 4,400 fatal accidents as a result of construction zone crashes. Rear-end crashes tend to be the most common type of accident in work zones and occur most frequently on roads where the speed limit is greater than 50 miles per hour. This makes an accident in a highway construction zone much more likely.
What Are Some Safety Tips for Driving Through Construction Zones?
Here are a few simple tips that you can employ to avoid accidents when driving through a highway construction zone:
- Stay alert and pay attention to signs and directions.
- Minimize any distractions such a cell phone use.
- Keep your headlights on to promote high visibility.
- Merge into the correct land and be aware of changes in traffic patterns.
- Maintain a safe distance between your car and the car in front of you.
- Obey the speed limits for construction zones.
- Be prepared to slow down and stop if needed.
- Change lanes only when it is safe to do so.
- Follow instructions of police officers and construction workers when prompted.
- Be patient as construction zones can often create confusion for other drivers.
Contact an Experienced Providence Car Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you know has been injured in a Providence car accident, contact one of our experienced Providence car accident lawyers located at 390 Broadway, Providence RI 02909. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. No fees are received unless you win your case. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 401-831-8600 or toll free at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out our contact form online.