Warwick workers’ compensation claim

Injuries at work happen more frequently than you may think. In fact, the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training reported that in 2016 over 19,000 Rhode Island employees were injured on the job. Work-related injuries can mean missed time at work and lost wages, all while bills and expenses continue to add up. Many times, an injured employee will need to seek medical attention and ongoing treatment to recover.

It is important to understand when and how to get treatment for a work-related injury as it can impact your health and your ability to collect workers’ compensation benefits. An experienced Warwick workers’ compensation lawyer can help you through this process and may be able to file a Warwick workers’ compensation lawsuit on your behalf.

When Should You Get Treatment if Injured at Work?

Treatment After an Injury at Work in Warwick

It is best to seek medical attention immediately after an injury at work. You should notify your employer of the injury and seek the appropriate medical attention right away. Prompt treatment is important because a delay may result in the insurance company denying your workers’ compensation claim. Insurance companies are often skeptical of claims where the injured person is not treated right away.

They figure that if you were really hurt, you would have gone to the doctor. Even if you think the injury is minor, it is still a good idea to seek medical attention as the injury could get worse over time if not treated. You should also inform your employer that you are being treated for the injury.

Where Should You Get Treatment for Work Injuries?

Warwick workers’ compensation injuryIf your injury is serious or life-threatening, you should go to an emergency room or call for emergency medical services right away. For more minor injuries, you may seek medical attention through your primary care provider. It is important to let the doctor know that you were injured at work so this can be appropriately documented.

Every state has different rules about the treatment of work-related injuries, so it is important to understand how these rules impact you. In Rhode Island, you may choose the first doctor you see for the injury. If you wish to change providers or see a specialist, you may need to get approval through your employer or the insurance company before the treatment will be covered.

Contact an Experienced Warwick Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Warwick Workers’ Compensation LawyerIf you have been injured while at work in the Warwick area, you may be entitled to collect workers’ compensation benefits for lost wages, medical bills and possibly a lump sum settlement, among other benefits. Our firm works with experienced workers’ compensation lawyers, and there are no fees unless you receive an award or settlement. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 1-401-490-6907 or toll free at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out a contact form online.


  1. http://www.dlt.ri.gov/wc/pdfs/AR16.pdf