If you have been injured in a car accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to a cash settlement for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering, among other losses. d’Oliveira and Associates charges no fee until you obtain a cash settlement or award.
Laura Cameron is the managing attorney of our Coventry office and has been handling car accident cases in Coventry for over 20 years. Feel free to contact us or call us anytime at 401-823-3444 for a free (no obligation) case evaluation. Our office is located at 401 Arnold Road, Coventry, RI.
(L-R) Paul d’Oliveira (Lawyer), Laura Cameron (Lawyer), Lisa Rose (Office Manager / Paralegal), Pamela Reis (Paralegal)
Coventry Car Accidents: What You Need to Know
Jump To Links
- What Are the Legal Fees?
- Coventry Car Accident FAQs
- What Can I Be Compensated for After My Coventry Car Accident?
- Common Causes of Car Accidents
- What Should I Do After My Car Accident?
- When Should I Contact a Lawyer?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in RI?
- Will I Have to Go to Court for My Car Accident Case?
- Should I Talk with the Other Driver’s Insurance Company?
- Why Do I Need an Experienced Coventry Car Accident Lawyer?
- Why Hire d’Oliveira & Associates?
- Contact Us!
- Driving Directions
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Coventry Car Accident Lawyer?
d’Oliveira & Associates does not charge any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Our firm works on a contingency fee basis, meaning we are not paid until you receive a settlement or award to compensate you for your personal injury.
Coventry Car Accident FAQs
- What is my car accident case worth?
- Can I receive compensation for damage to my vehicle?
- What if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured?
- What insurance coverage is available for RI drivers?
What Can I Be Compensated for Following My Coventry Car Accident?
The amount and type of damages a personal injury victim recovers depends on the specific facts of each case. Expenses that may be recoverable include:
- Lost income from inability to work
- Medical expenses
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Psychological harm
- Physical impairment
- Pain and suffering
Possible Causes of Car Accidents
Some common causes of car accidents include:
- Speeding – drivers travelling above the posted speed limit pose a risk of injury to other drivers and pedestrians.
- Drunk driving – In the United States, a person dies in a car accident where drunk driving was a factor every 39 minutes. Nearly 30% of all fatal U.S. car accidents involve drunk driving, causing more than 10,000 deaths per year. Even after consuming a relatively small amount of alcohol or with a blood alcohol content that is within the legal limit, alcohol impairs brain function and basic motor skills, making safe vehicle operation more difficult and posing risks to others on the road.
- Distracted driving – Whether it is a driver using their phone, adjusting the radio, or being distracted by their passengers, anything that takes a driver’s attention off of the road increases the risk of being in an accident.
- Car part defect – A vehicle’s manufacturing or design defect is the cause of some car accidents. Be sure to keep your vehicle’s maintenance up to date and to keep an eye out for recalls that require you to replace or repair a part in your vehicle.
- Poor road conditions – Bad weather conditions, construction, or poorly maintained roads can be hazardous even for the most careful and cautious drivers and contribute to causing car accidents.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
- Turn on your hazard lights and only move your vehicle if necessary to prevent it from being hit by another vehicle.
- Call 911 right away and address any injuries.
- Take pictures or videos of the accident scene, including the position of the cars, the damage to the vehicles, and weather and road conditions.
- Note any obvious traffic violations that contributed to the accident.
- Get the contact and insurance information of other driver(s) involved in the accident. Also get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
How Long Do I Have to File My RI Car Accident Suit?
In Rhode Island, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident personal injury claim is three years. This means that you have three years from the time of injury to file suit against the at-fault party for your injuries. But the sooner you contact an experienced attorney to investigate your case, the better. Giving your attorney enough time to build your strongest case can result in you receiving more compensation to cover your expenses. Read more.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Settlement?
Every car accident case is different in terms of how long it takes to settle. Factors that affect a settlement timeline include the extent and severity of your injuries, ease of communication with the insurance companies, and who was deemed to be at fault. Depending on these factors, a case could be resolved in a matter of weeks, or it could take longer than a year to resolve. To discuss the details of your accident with a knowledgeable Coventry attorney, contact us today.
Will I Have to Go to Court for My Coventry Car Accident Case?
Our firm settles almost all of our clients’ personal injury cases without ever having to set foot in a courtroom. If a settlement cannot be reached in your case, our attorneys are not afraid to fight for the compensation you are entitled to in the roughly 5% of our cases that do go to court.
Should I Talk with the Other Driver’s Insurance Company?
d’Oliveira & Associates advises against speaking with the at-fault driver’s insurance company unless you have first been advised by an experienced car accident attorney. If you do decide to speak with the other party’s insurance, we suggest you avoid discussing details of your case, and avoid admitting fault. Do not agree to any settlement offers or sign any insurance waivers until your doctor has cleared you and there is documentation of the extent of your injuries.
Why Do I Need an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer?
Studies show that those with an experienced Coventry car accident attorney on their side recover 2-3 times as much compensation as those who do not hire an attorney. Insurance companies are business looking to profit and will likely offer you less compensation than you are entitled to for covering your costs. Hiring a d’Oliveira & Associates attorney means we can focus on maximizing your compensation so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Why Hire Us?
- Our firm has over three decades of experience in successfully resolving personal injury cases.
- No legal fee unless we win or settle your case!
- We answer all phone calls, 24/7.
- d’Oliveira & Associates offers free case consultations.
- Our 18 offices are conveniently located throughout Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Contact d’Oliveira & Associates Today!
Call our Coventry office at (401) 762-4006 or fill out an online contact form for a free case evaluation.