Over 1.6 million people live in licensed adult care facilities in the United States. Around 10,000 baby boomers turn 65 each day, and 1 out of 4 of them is at risk of nursing home abuse or neglect. This and more studies of nursing home abuse conducted by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the Department of Health and other agencies raise some serious concern as to how the problem has to be addressed and can be fixed. Here are some Nursing Home Abuse statistics.
- 44% of nursing home residents have suffered abuse in some form.
- 38% of residents have witnessed the abuse of other residents.
- Only 20% of nursing home abuse cases are reported.
- Many Americans over 65 have been abused, neglected, maltreated or mistreated by their primary caregiver.
- Around 50% of nursing home patients suffer from untreated pain.
- 20% of reported elder abuse cases involve emotional abuse.
- 16% involve physical abuse.
- 12% of them involve neglect. In 1999, 5,000 death certificates of nursing home patients listed dehydration, malnutrition, starvation, or bedsores as the cause of death
- 1 out of 3 nursing homes has been cited for nursing home abuse and other infractions.
- 11% of nursing homes have been cited for unnecessary dispensing of prescription drugs.
- CNN reports that over 90% of adult care facilities are understaffed.
- 85% of nursing home staff blame inadequate staffing for the cause of abuse and neglect.
- In 2003, the average cost for a room in a private nursing home was $66,000 a year.
You can help address this nationwide concern. If you spot any manifestation of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact a RI nursing home abuse lawyer immediately. Protect the rights of your loved ones, and help them live the quality life that they deserve in a nursing home.
We know who the best Rhode Island nursing home abuse lawyers are for your specific type of case in RI and MA and are committed to helping you find the best lawyer to represent you. Remember the attorneys we work with do not charge a fee until you recover an award or a settlement of our case. Please contact the law offices of d’Oliveira & Associates at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for a free legal consultation.