After a slip and fall, there are a number of very important steps to take in order to ensure that you are able to receive the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Follow These Steps Immediately After a Slip and Fall to Help Your Claim:
- Seek medical attention. If the slip and fall occurs at a store, notify an employee immediately so that they can get you medical help. If the injury is serious enough, consider asking for an ambulance to take you to the hospital. Go to the emergency room or see your primary care physician immediately if you are in any pain, as injuries can sometimes get worse over time.
- Immediately ask to fill out a report of the incident and injury to whoever is responsible in the place where you fell. Talk to a manager, landlord, or property owner to guarantee that the event is documented. Most businesses have procedures in place in case of a slip and fall. You should keep a copy of the incident report for your own records.
- Take pictures of where you fell. This will help an attorney, who will send an investigator to the scene to determine if there are any building code violations, interview witnesses, and determine the strength of your case against the property owner. It may also be used as proof when the property owner disputes your claim.
- Save the object that you slipped on, if possible. Some of the most commonly slipped on items in a grocery store are grapes, which get stuck in grocery cart wheels and dragged around the store. Do your best to preserve the object, and speak with a lawyer quickly to determine whether or not you should hold onto it. Also, try not to wash your clothing or wear your shoes again until after speaking with a lawyer. These objects can sometimes be examined and used as evidence to help your claim.
- Consider hiring an experienced slip and fall lawyer. A lawyer with experience handling slip and fall cases in RI or MA will be able to tell you whether or not you have a potential case. They will also be able to negotiate with the insurance companies, file a lawsuit, and represent you in a trial if necessary.
Have You Been Involved in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Call Us Today for a Free Case Evaluation.
Why Hire Us?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident anywhere in Rhode Island or Massachusetts, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. Our firm handles many different types of slip and fall cases, and we charge no fee unless you get a settlement or award. For a free (no obligation) Case evaluation, call our toll free number or fill out a contact form online.