If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to a cash settlement for your medical bills, lost income (if any), pain and suffering and other losses. Our experienced New Bedford car accident lawyers charge no fee until you receive a settlement or award. Feel free to contact us for a free (no obligation) case evaluation.
Have You Been Injured in a New Bedford Car Accident?
Call a New Bedford Car Accident Lawyer For a Free Case Evaluation Today.
Attorney D. Robin Gouveia is the managing attorney of our New Bedford office and has been practicing personal injury and social security disability law in New Bedford for over 20 years. Before law school, Robin worked as an insurance company claims adjuster for several years and has great insight into how the insurance companies evaluate personal injury claims. Robin knows what your case is worth and how to get it for you quickly. Also, we are committed to giving clients in New Bedford WOW customer service.
Frequently Asked Questions From Our Clients:
Will I Be Charged A Legal Fee For My New Bedford Car Accident Lawsuit?
d’Oliveira and Associates will not charge you any legal fees until you receive settlement or award for your injuries. Our firm does charge a typical 1/3 fee of your settlement or award. We will also pay for out of pocket costs such as to obtain medical records, etc. And we obtain these from you if and when you receive an award.
Does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Apply to My New Bedford Car Accident?
If the vehicle that you were injured in is registered in MA, PIP is an available option for you. Personal Injury Protection or PIP is most commonly referred to as “no fault” insurance. This means that even if you were considered at fault for the accident, you are able to obtain PIP benefits from the vehicle you were in, so long as the car is registered in MA.
This will pay you or anyone else injured in your automobile for medical bills, funeral expenses, and 75% of lost wages. There is a maximum payment which is capped at $8,000 per person injured. If you have health insurance such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield, the no fault insurance carrier will be responsible for only the first $2,000 of the medical bills, and your private health insurance company may pay for the rest. If they do not pay the rest, PIP must pay the balance. Our experienced New Bedford car accident lawyers here can walk you through this complex law in Massachusetts.
What, If Any, Insurance Liability Coverage is Required In New Bedford?
Massachusetts requires that every automobile have a minimum coverage of $20,000/$40,000. This means that the insurance company will pay up to $20,000 to each injured person, but no more than $40,000 total for all people hurt in the accident. Some car owners do carry more than these minimum limits.
Under this coverage, only the insurance company for the person who is at fault pays. This will compensate any injured people for lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering and mental anguish, among other losses. In order to receive a settlement for pain and suffering with this coverage, you must have at least $2,000 in medical bills beforehand or have sustained a broken bone or a scar.
What Is My New Bedford Car Accident Case Worth?
If you were injured in an auto accident and it was not your fault, you may be entitled to medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. As your lawyer we will negotiate with the insurance company the most concerning pain and suffering. Insurance companies just do not value pain and suffering as being worth as much as we do. This is where our 30 years of experience as New Bedford auto accident lawyers can be incredibly important. Read more.
What Are The Consequences For The Other Motorist Not Having Insurance?
In some cases you will run into the issue that the accident was caused by a driver who doesn’t have insurance, or by a driver of a hit-and-run automobile. In both of these situations they are considered “uninsured automobiles”. If you are hurt in an accident and the driver has no insurance, there are a few different things that you can do in order to receive the compensation you deserve. You may collect uninsured motorist benefits from the automobile you were in at the time the accident happened, and your insurance company is not allowed to raise your rates if you were not at fault. In some cases you may even be able collect uninsured motorist benefits from your automobile insurance company, or potentially any other automobiles insured and owned by members of your household. Read more.
Are Payments Available For Property Damage?
In order to make sure that you receive the correct amount for your property damage claim you should have an insurance appraiser examine your vehicle at the auto body shop with your auto body repair man present. Your repair man should discuss your property damage claim with the claims adjustor directly. He is the best person, considering he will be the person fixing your vehicle, to negotiate the value of your property damage claim. This will help ensure you receive the correct amount of money you need to repair your vehicle. Read more.
Any Tips Regarding Contact With My Insurance Company?
- Make sure that you get in contact your insurance agent as soon as you possible after the accident. Insurance companies will require you to a file a claim in a certain reasonable amount of time after the accident. It is vital not wait to file your claim.
- Go through your policy and determine the coverage you have to make sure that you file the proper claims. An experienced New Bedford auto accident lawyer can help guide you through this process.
- Make sure to let your insurance company know about the particulars of the accident. Also include the insurance information of the other parties that were in the accident.
- Be sure to keep any and all paperwork having to do with your claim. This can be any medical bills, repair bills, and other papers or documents of expenses.
- We recommend that you don’t speak to the opposing party insurance company without speaking with a qualified New Bedford auto accident attorney first. If you do decide to speak with to the opposing parties insurance company be sure that you: DO NOT talk about the specifics as to how the accident occurred, DO NOT agree to any offers to settle your claim until your doctor has cleared you from medical treatment and you are no longer in pain, DO NOT sign any insurance waiver or release until your doctor has cleared you from treatment and you are no longer in pain… Read more.
Why Do I Need An Experienced New Bedford Car Accident Lawyer?
The answer is very simple. The insurance company’s objective is to offer you as little money as possible in order to settle your case. There are several things that a skilled attorney can do in order to make sure that you receive the best settlement possible for your case. This can include supervising your medical treatment to ensure that your doctors ordered the correct tests, collecting and monitoring your medical records to make sure they document any and all pain and suffering you have endured, guiding you regarding all aspects of your claim, and most importantly, negotiating with the insurance company to see that you receive the greatest possible settlement for your injuries.
Why Should I Hire d’Oliveira & Associates?
- Our firm has been handling auto accident cases for over 30 years.
- Every one of our attorneys here has at least 20 years’ experience in dealing with auto accident cases.
- Your initial phone call will be answered no matter when you call, 24/7.
- We will offer you a free (no obligation) consultation.
- We are accessible to come to you wherever you are, if either you prefer this or are unable to come into one of our 15 offices in RI and MA.
- We do not charge any legal fees unless you receive a settlement or award.
- We will make sure to return your phone calls as soon as possible.
- We know all the different tricks the insurance company adjustors will try to use to offer you less money than what your case is really worth.
Contact Our Knowledgeable New Bedford Car Accident Lawyers Today!
Call today at 1-800-992-6878, or fill out a contact form for your free (no obligation) consultation.
From Acushnet, MA:
Estimated drive time, 25 minutes
Follow Middle Rd South and then continue onto Mill Rd. Make a slight left onto Conduit St and then turn right onto Tarkiln Hill Rd and continue on Kings Hwy. Turn right on Mt Pleasant St and then get onto MA-140 S toward New Bedford/Dartmouth/I-195. Turn left onto US-6 E/Kempton St. Our office will be on the right.
From Westport, MA:
Estimated drive time, 25 minutes
Follow Hixbridge Rd and then turn left onto White Oak Run. Turn left onto Fisher Rd and then turn right onto Fisher Rd/Old Westport Rd. Turn Left to stay on Old Westport Rd. Turn right onto State Rd and continue on Kempton St. Our office will be on the right.
From Fairhaven, MA:
Estimated drive time, 15 minutes
Follow US-6 W and then turn left onto Summit St. Then turn right onto Kempton St. Our office will be on the left.