A jury in an Alabama court returned a $7.5 million verdict against retail giant Wal-Mart, in a slip and fall case. According to a news report, the victim, a retired service member, was buying watermelon at the store when his foot became stuck in a wooden pallet and he fell, breaking his foot and hip. The victim, who was 59 at the time of the injury, was awarded $2.5 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. Jurors deliberated for about two hours before returning the verdict, which Wal-Mart is expected to appeal. If you or a loved one has been injured from a slip and fall accident that a was the fault of the property owner, call an East Providence slip and fall lawyer to help you understand your legal rights.
What are Common Causes of Falls?
Some of the most common causes of slip and falls in stores and supermarkets include:
- Wet floors: Wet and slippery conditions can happen in stores at any time. It may be caused by a spill or an employee who failed to properly mop up a spill or failed to put caution signs around a wet area.
- Uneven walking surfaces: This may include a damaged tile or broken stair that could put visitors at risk for a fall.
- Poor lighting: Property owners are required to keep all areas of a store well-lit at all times. Failing to do so could create a dangerous condition.
- Loose rugs or floor mats: Tattered or frayed rugs and mats can get caught on your shoes, clothes, or shopping cart causing you to lose your balance and fall.
- Ice or snow buildup: In cold weather, improperly removed ice or snow can put shoppers at great risk.
What Should I Do If I Am Injured in a Slip and Fall?
If you have been injured at Wal-Mart or any other supermarket or big box retail store, it is important that you take several steps to protect your legal rights. First, report the accident. It is important that you document the incident as soon as possible. Notify the manager who is on duty. He or she will likely have you fill out an injury report. Make sure you get a copy of this report.
Gather as much evidence as you can. Take photos of the dangerous condition that caused your fall such as spilled liquid or debris in the shopping aisles. If you don’t collect this evidence right away, it may be lost. Write down the names and contact information of anyone who saw you fall and ask them for a statement. Make sure you get prompt medical attention, treatment and care for your injuries. Finally, contact an experienced Rhode Island slip-and-fall accident lawyer who has experience handling similar cases.
Call d’Oliveira & Associates Today!
If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, do not hesitate to contact an experienced Rhode Island personal injury lawyer who can help examine your legal rights and options. We will remain on your side, fight for your rights and help you secure maximum compensation for your injuries damages and losses. Additionally, we charge no legal fees until you have secured the settlement or award you are entitled to. Call us anytime at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form online, for a free (no-obligation) case consultation.