New England is notorious for its unpredictable changes in weather conditions, which have been known at times to produce strong winds and heavy rains. With a tidal shoreline of 1,519 miles, even minor storms can quickly escalate and cause flooding in many Massachusetts cities and towns. Recently, several heavy storms caused flooding, damage to property, loss of power, and road closures in Southeastern MA. Driving in heavy rain and flood conditions presents special challenges and dangers that all drivers should be aware of in order to prevent injuries that can result in Massachusetts car accident lawsuits.
Is Flooding Common in Massachusetts?
The relation to the coast and natural topography both play a role in making Massachusetts particularly vulnerable to flooding, especially in coastal areas. In fact, most of Massachusetts is only about 500 feet above sea level. Even large cities, like Boston, are susceptible to flood risks. After the strong rain and thunder storms that recently passed through the region, many towns like Rehoboth, MA were left with severely flooded streets, fallen trees, and downed power lines. These conditions can pose a serious threat to anyone driving during or after a severe rainstorm. Adding to the danger is the fact that flooding often occurs very quickly and without warning to drivers.
How Can I Stay Safe in Flood Conditions?
The best way to protect yourself and loved ones during inclement weather is to be prepared. Here are some tips on how to stay safe during a storm that could lead to flooding:
- Create an emergency kit and family communications plan ahead of time. The kit can include things such as first aid supplies, extra clothing, blankets, toiletry items, non-perishable food items.
- Know evacuation routes in your area. Information for evacuation routes in Massachusetts can be found on state government websites such as: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/mema/news/press-releases/know-your-hurricane-evacuation-zone.html
- Listen to your local radio stations for updates and warnings about conditions.
- Try to avoid driving if possible, and if you are driving, play it safe. Avoid flooded areas!
- Drive slowly and pay close attention to other drivers around you.
- If your car becomes surrounded by water, get out and head towards high ground.
Why Call d’Oliveira & Associates?
If you or someone you know has been injured in car accident in Massachusetts, do not hesitate to contact one of our experienced Massachusetts car accident lawyers. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. We charge no legal fees until we have obtained a settlement or award for you. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us toll free at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form online.