If you or someone you know has suffered an injury in a Rhode Island car accident or slip-and-fall accident, you are probably wondering what steps to take next and how to obtain compensation to pay medical bills and make up for lost wages. This can be a stressful time for you and your family.
If you have suffered injuries that required hospitalization or medical treatment, you may want an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side to ensure that your legal rights and best interests are protected.
What Should I Consider When Selecting A Personal Injury Lawyer?
Here are a few considerations that we hope will help you secure quality legal representation:
- Practice Area. Lawyers can practice several areas of law. Choose a lawyer who has extensive experience in practicing specifically personal injury law. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be familiar with the intricacies of personal injury law and know how to manage the case effectively. For example, they should know current state specific laws, how to negotiate with insurance companies and organize documentation.
- Trial Experience. Many personal injury cases are settled outside of a courtroom through negotiation and do not go to a trial. As a result, a number of personal injury lawyers have little or no trial experience. You might want to think about choosing a professional who is able to take your case to trial, if necessary, so that they can do everything it takes to represent you.
- Track Record. Select a lawyer who has obtained favorable awards and settlements for injured clients. Some lawyers post this information on advertisements or on their webpage. These are an indication of the types of cases the lawyer has successfully handled and be mindful that results can vary.
- Professional Involvement. Look to see if the lawyer is a member of any professional organizations. For example, they might be a member of a state or national trial lawyer group. In addition, lawyers also give speeches and write articles about personal injury.
- Reviews. Personal injury lawyers are sometimes peer reviewed by other lawyers that they work with. You can search for websites that provide these reviews. They are also reviewed by past clients and testimonials might be available.
- Fees. You should consider how legal fees are charged. For personal injury cases, the lawyer usually receives fees only if you get paid and there are little or no out of pocket costs because the fees come out of the settlement or award amount.
Should I Contact A Personal Injury Lawyer?
A lot is at stake with a personal injury case. The outcome could affect the type of treatment you receive and it could even impact your financial future. Medical bills can be very expensive and missing out on work makes the situation worse. This increases the risks of going into high debt and not being able to pay for living expenses. It is crucial that you have the right personal injury lawyer on your side to help obtain the best possible results in your case.
Protect Your Rights
If you or someone you know has been injured and are in need of a Rhode Island personal injury lawyer, the experienced lawyers at d’Oliveira & Associates can help you protect your rights. Our firm charges no legal fees unless you receive a settlement or award. For a free no obligation case evaluation, call us toll-free at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form online.