If you have been injured while undergoing a gastric bypass surgery in Rhode Island or Massachusetts, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. We are working with experienced gastric bypass medical malpractice lawyers in RI and MA, who can file a lawsuit on your behalf and charge no fee unless you win a settlement or award. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us 24/7 or fill out a contact form on our website.
Have You Suffered A Serious Injury After Having Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Call the Gastric Bypass Lawyers of d’Oliveire & Associates Today!
Can Gastric Bypass Medical Malpractice Cause Injury?
Gastric bypass surgery malpractice can cause serious injury to the patient. The American Medical Association has reported that complications are nearly 200% more likely to occur when the operating surgeon has performed under 100 gastric bypass surgeries. Studies also show a 1.6 times higher probability of death in gastric bypass patients whose surgeons are inexperienced (performed under 100 gastric bypass surgeries).
What Injuries Are Caused by Gastric Bypass Medical Malpractice?
- Serious Infections
- Digestive Problems
- Nutrient Deficiency
- Separation of the reattached intestine
- Stomach or intestinal bleeding
What Is a Gastric Bypass Lawsuit Worth?
When considering the worth of a gastric bypass lawsuit, certain factors will be taken into account in order to compensate you. The amount of medical bills that have already been paid as well as income that may have been lost due to the injury will be examined. Additionally, your pain and suffering will be examined.
Potential “future” losses will also be considered. These are losses that will be incurred over the course of time related to care for the injury, such as follow up surgeries and medical procedures.
Have There Been Gastric Bypass Lawsuits?
- $178 Million jury verdict against a hospital, and a separate undisclosed settlement with the doctor himself, after a Florida police officer suffered serious and preventable gastric bypass complications following his surgery. The inexperienced doctor and hospital staff failed to act after recognizing that his intestines were leaking, which led to the officer suffering a stroke and falling into a coma for over two weeks. The jury found that the hospital intentionally lied about how experienced its surgeons were, in addition to the medical malpractice.
- $3.35 Million settlement for a woman that died after the hospital failed to properly diagnose or treat her gastric bypass complications. She spent over two years recovering before ultimately passing away.
- $1 Million settlement for a Massachusetts woman that developed seizures and became blind after the doctor that performed her gastric bypass was negligent during her follow up procedures. He failed to use anesthesia even though there was evidence to show that he should have used it.
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Gastric bypass is a common and serious weight loss surgery. In order to perform it, the doctor uses surgical staples or a band to separate the stomach into two chambers, one large and one small. The small chamber is connected to the esophagus, which is where food enters the stomach. Then, the doctor connects the small intestine to the small pouch. In this way, food enters and leaves only the small pouch.
The surgery leads to weight loss because the small pouch causes people to feel full faster, so they don’t eat as much. If the person eats too much, they experience severe stomach pain and usually vomit. It is usually successful for weight loss, but complications can lead to serious injuries.
What Are the Risks of Gastric Bypass Surgery?
- Development of gallstones
- Abdominal hernias
- Pulmonary embolism (blockage of main artery of the lung)
- Gastric bleeds
- Leakage of gastric fluid
The most common serious risks of gastric bypass are leakage of gastric fluid and gastric bleeds. These can result in severe stomach and abdominal pain, and can lead to other symptoms such as dehydration and infections, like sepsis.
Why Contact Us?
If you have been injured after undergoing a gastric bypass surgery, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. We are working with experienced gastric bypass medical malpractice lawyers in RI and MA, who can file a lawsuit for you. There is no legal fee unless you get a settlement or award. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call our toll free number or fill out a contact form on our site.