The trucking industry employs approximately 9 million people, with over 3.5 million employed as drivers. Through the negligence and fault of some truck drivers, owners, and/or operators, trucking accidents happen every year, at a rate of 500,000 per year, causing around 5,000 deaths.
In almost 98% of the time, the passengers or driver of the other vehicle are the ones killed, and not the truck driver, due to the size of the trucks. More than 60% of these accidents happen in rural areas. Truck accidents happen when trucks or trailers that weigh 10,000 lbs or more collide with vehicles, pedestrians or other objects on the road. What causes such collisions or crashes?
Here are Some of the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents in the United States:
- Fatigue. The most common cause of trucking accidents in the United States is fatigue that is caused by non-stop driving. The Federal Motor Carrier Administration published regulations to limit the number of hours tractor trailers can operate. This ensures that drivers can take adequate rest to lessen the risk for accidents.
- Excessive Speed. Another common cause of these accidents is when trucks travel too fast. The faster the trucks are travelling, the stronger the impact of the collision, and the more sever the highway disasters would be.
- Texting and Other Forms of Distraction. Various forms of distraction such as cell phone use also cause trucking accidents. That’s the reason that most states prohibit cell phone use while driving.
- Overloading or Misloading. Most accidents still occur due to the excessive weight or load of trucks. This causes imbalance of the trucks, providing additional dangers because of the risk of tipping or rolling over, thereby risking crashing into smaller vehicles.
- Maintenance Problems. Trucks are among the least maintained vehicles. Although the owners or operators of trucks have the responsibility to maintain their vehicles and to ensure that proper measures are followed and that equipment malfunctions or defects are resolved before the truck is used, this is not always sufficiently done.
Injured in a Trucking Accident?
Hire the Rhode Island Trucking Accident Attorneys
of d’Oliveira & Associates!
Other causes of trucking accidents include poor driving skills, alcohol or substance use, changing lanes, unsafe passing, and sometimes, even through the fault of the other driver. If you or a loved one has been injured from a trucking accident, you need a competent auto accident attorney because the last thing that you want to worry about is dealing with insurance companies and the potential legal issues involved.
d’Oliveira & Associates works with some of the leading auto accident lawyers in handling trucking accident cases. Our Providence car accident attorneys make sure that your rights are protected and that your best interests are served. Contact the law offices of d’Oliveira & Associates at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for a free legal consultation.