Warwick, Rhode Island is one of the most diverse business municipalities in the state. Warwick is home to TF Green Airport, the Warwick Mall, and several beaches and parks. With this vast amount of business, it should be of no surprise that many consumers and tourists will flock to this area, which could lead to businesses and their employees becoming distracted. These distractions could lead to circumstances where a slip and fall accident could take place. Falling accidents account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits to the hospital, according to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI). It is important that patrons keep an eye on their surroundings while walking to help eliminate Warwick slip and fall injuries.
What Are Common Slip and Fall Injuries in Warwick?
Warwick slip and falls can result in extremely serious injuries, permanent disabilities, and even death. Because so much harm can result from a slip and fall, it is vital that we hold property owners responsible for keeping their buildings and land reasonably safe.
- Fractures and Sprains: When there is unexpected and sudden movement due to slipping and falling, the victim may twist a knee or ankle. Landing hard onto the floor or pavement may cause broken or cracked bones, leading to excruciating pain. The most frequently found injuries are fractures of the forearm, leg, ankle, upper arm, wrist and hand. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), fractures of bones among older adults are caused mostly by falls.
- Head Injuries: Falls are the most common origin of traumatic brain injury (TBI), the CDC reports. A TBI could be a concussion that clears up after a couple of weeks’ rest. It may also be a severe injury that causes continuing intellectual deficiencies, attitude alterations, seizures and other symptoms.
- Shoulder Injuries: The shoulder trauma that can accumulate from a fall can cause a shoulder dislocation. This may also lead to a possible brachial plexus injury. The brachial plexus is a system of nerves joining the spinal cord to the shoulder, arm and hand. Studies show that these nerves can be strained or torn if a shocking force violently powers your shoulder down as your head is pushed up and away from that shoulder.
- Hip Fractures: Over 95% of hip fractures are caused by falls, according to CDC reports and studies. A hip fracture normally entails surgery and hospitalization for about a week, which is followed by admittance to a nursing home for extensive therapy and rehabilitation.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: Falls can injure vertebrae or lead to a slipped or herniated disc in your spinal cord. This injury may produce substantial discomfort, soreness and inadequate flexibility and mobility.
- Torn Tendons and Ligaments: Tearing a tendon or ligament in your feet, knees, and wrists is very agonizing and can have long-term consequences on your entire body. Numerous tears can take months to heal and may require physical therapy.
Contact a Warwick Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact one of our experienced Warwick, RI slip and fall lawyers located at 88F Jefferson Blvd. Warwick, RI 02888. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. No fees are received unless you win your case. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 401-490-6907 or toll free at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out our contact form online.