Construction Zone

crushed windshield from construction zoneAfter another harsh New England winter, construction crews are out in full force fixing the many damaged roads and highways. While these projects are necessary to keep the roads in good condition, they also pose many hazards for Rhode Island drivers. A recent incident in Cranston highlights a common issue many drivers face. While driving under an overhead pass that was under construction on Interstate 95, a woman’s car was struck by a piece of debris causing the windshield to completely shatter and causing several dents to the body of the car. Although there was no construction in process on the overpass, the debris appeared to come from the worksite. This can be a scary experience and lead to a Rhode Island construction accident lawsuit.

A Complex Claim Process

While the insurance company took over and her windshield was fixed right away, the insurance adjuster estimated there was about $1,700 worth of body damage that still needed to be repaired. According to the Rhode Island Department of Transportation, the project’s contractor was required to maintain liability insurance for the project. But, the company denied the woman’s claim because they said the incident occurred at a location where the company was not performing any work.

insurance company claim processSo, they kicked the claim to another company, a subcontractor that owned and controlled a canvas and wood containment system. However that company also denied responsibility saying the company doesn’t use pieces of wood during its construction projects. Essentially, both the contractor and subcontractor denied responsibility. Finally RIDOT said it would pay the woman’s claim and withhold the claim amount from future payments made to the contractor.

What To Do If You Have Been In a Construction Accident?

As is evident through this particular Rhode Island case, accidents that result in property damage or injuries in construction zones can result in complex claims processes. There are several steps you can take in order to ensure that your claim is fairly resolved if your vehicle is damaged in a construction zone and you plan to file a claim through RIDOT:

Construction Accident paperwork

  • Make sure that the vehicle damage is properly documented. If you are involved in a construction zone-related accident, be sure you are in a safe location first. Then, take photos or video of your vehicle.
  • Contact a RIDOT Work Zone Claims Coordinator at 401-222-2468, ext. 4101.
  • File a police report and obtain a copy for your own records.
  • Obtain a copy of the tow receipt or an Auto Club report.
  • Get a copy of the repair invoice or an estimate for work done on your vehicle.
  • If you have been injured, make sure you get prompt medical attention, care and treatment for your injuries.
  • Save all invoices, receipts and records connected to the incident.
  • Contact an experienced Rhode Island car accident lawyer who can help analyze all facets of the incident and help you navigate what could become a complex process.

RI Construction Accident Lawyer

RI Construction Accident LawyerIf you or someone you know has been injured in a Cranston car accident, contact one of our experienced Cranston car accident lawyers located at 751 Reservoir Ave., Cranston, RI 02910. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. No fees are received unless you win your case. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 1-401-275-2039 or toll free at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out our contact form online.


Author Photo

Paul d’Oliveira

Attorney Paul d’Oliveira has been practicing personal injury and disability law for over 30 years. He started his personal injury law practice in 1989 with two offices in Fall River, MA and East Providence, RI. Today his firm has 16 offices in RI and Southeastern, MA.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars