Car Accident Report Form

When the mind is panicked and goes into damage control, it can be easy not to follow proper procedures when reporting a car accident. The most important thing to remember, besides seeking medical treatment for your injuries, is you always want to alert the authorities to your accident. Even if the accident is minor, you should get the local police involved so that a police report can be filled out. This police report is the basis for insurance companies to determine who was at fault.

What Should I do when Reporting my Car Accident?

Woman talking to the police after a car accident
  • Tell the police officer the truth, but never admit fault. Fault has yet to be determined, so admitting it will only harm your case. During this traumatic time, you may feel scared and unsure of events. Even if this is so, never admit fault because the insurance company will try to use this against you later. Tell the facts and let the police report speak for itself.

  • Provide any important information. This can include where and when the accident occurred, road conditions, injuries sustained and details on how the accident transpired.

  • Be polite when speaking with the police officer. Remember, they are the ones writing up the report. Simply answer the questions in a calm and collected manner.

  • Document the car accident if no officer is at the scene. If you can, gather witness testimony and any other evidence you can. You may even want to voice record the events as you remember them. Once the officer arrives on the scene, you have everything you need to present to them.

Contact a Knowledgeable Car Accident Lawyer

Car Accident Lawyer

d’Oliveira & Associates has been handling car accident cases in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts for over 30 years. Our firm understands that this can be a trying time. We have the knowledge and experience to get you the best possible compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. Whether you were involved in a Rhode Island Car Accident or a Massachusetts Car Accident, call us toll-free 24/7 at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out an online contact form for a free (no obligation) case evaluation.

Author Photo

Paul d’Oliveira

Attorney Paul d’Oliveira has been practicing personal injury and disability law for over 30 years. He started his personal injury law practice in 1989 with two offices in Fall River, MA and East Providence, RI. Today his firm has 16 offices in RI and Southeastern, MA.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars