On Wednesday morning, August 5 2015, a box truck hit a median and spilled its fuel all over I-95 in Providence. The accident shut down lanes of traffic for several hours and caused a mid-day commuting nightmare. That got d’Oliveira & Associates thinking…. What are the 5 of the strangest truck spills?
- 40,000 Pounds of ice cream. A tractor trailer in Indiana tipped and spilled its load of ice cream all over the highway, taking over 6 hours to clean up.
- 2,200 live pigs. Another semi-trailer was transporting live pigs in Ohio, when it hit an embankment and tipped. Many of the pigs sprinted off into the woods, never to be found again.
- 30 crates of live chickens. In downtown New York City, a truck lost 30 crates of live chickens that it was carrying. The driver didn’t even realize he lost his load!
- 6,000 gallons of milk. A California trucker over turned his rig and spilled thousands of gallons of whole milk, closing the whole highway for almost an hour.
- Money. An armored truck in Cranston, RI tipped over in August of 2014, spilling clear bags of cash all along Route 10. Another armored truck was called in order to help clear up the spill, and it wasn’t clear whether any passing motorists made off with some quick cash.
Although these types of accidents are sometimes amusing, they can also cause serious accidents. Reaction speeds sometimes aren’t fast enough, resulting in direct accidents with the spilled cargo. Also, “rubbernecking” could cause rear-end accidents, which can result in serious injuries. If you have been injured in a car accident anywhere in Rhode Island, call our toll free number at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form on our website.