The number of trucks in the United States continues to increase. The US Department of Transportation estimates that half a million accidents involving heavy trucks and 18-wheelers occur each year. Truck accidents may be caused by the negligence, road conditions, or lack of training of drivers. Aside from these causes, the very nature, weight, and size of a truck prevent the driver from responding to changes on the road immediately and safely.
All these factors are able to increase the chance of causing some very serious injuries and fatalities. Here are some trucking accident statistics gathered from the studies of various organizations, including the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 15 million trucks (including light trucks, pickup trucks, and SUVs) are estimated to be on the road in the United States.
- The number of trucks is expected to rise by about 20% from year to year.
- A tractor-trailer truck or an 18-wheeler can weigh between 80,000 to 100,000 tons and can be as high as 75 feet tall.
- There are 3.5 million truck drivers in the country. One in nine truck drivers is an independent trucker that drive for themselves rather than for a trucking company.
- In 2010, over 500,000 large trucks were involved in accidents with cars or other trucks.
- On the same year, 100,000 people involved in trucking accidents sustained injuries to the head or body.
- There are estimated to be between 50,000 to 70,000 fatal auto accidents each year. Trucking accidents account for roughly 5,000 fatalities each year.
- Almost 70% of truck accidents occur in rural areas.
Have You Been in a Car Accident Involving a Tractor-Trailer?
If you or a loved one has been in an auto accident, you should consider contacting a personal injury lawyer with experience in handling these types of cases. The truck accident attorneys of d’Oliveira & Associates, would like to meet with you and discuss the investigation of your automobile accident. Our law firm has represented and assisted numerous automobile accident victims in bringing lawsuits against other drivers and insurance companies alike, and there are no fees unless we are successful.
To have a member of our law office contact you, please fill out a contact form or call us at 1-800-992-6878.