Are Slip and Falls On Government Property More Difficult?

View of a government building before a slip and fall.

Slip and fall cases on government property, such as a city sidewalk or public park, are more difficult than traditional claims because governments are given more legal protection when compared to home or business owners. Cases against local, state, or federal governments are often governed by complicated laws that are different from the laws that other land owners have to follow.

City hall government building after a slip and fall took place.For example, the government sometimes must have been aware of the dangerous condition in order to be held responsible for your injuries, whereas private homeowners and business owners do not usually have to be aware of the dangerous condition and can still be held liable. In addition, governments often have some form of immunity, which makes it harder to hold them responsible.

Have You Had a Slip and Fall Accident
While on a Government Property?
Call Us Today for a Free Case Evaluation.

How Long Do You Have To File A Claim?

A slip and fall report after someone fell at a government building.Usually a claim against the government is time sensitive, meaning a claim or notice to file a lawsuit must be made within a certain period of time. The time limit may be as short as 60 days from the time of the accident in which you sustained your injury, even though you usually have 3 years in a normal slip and fall case. It is important to speak with a RI slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible after your injury to learn your rights.

Why Hire Us?

A slip-and-fall lawyer discusses a case with his two clients.If you have been injured on government property in Rhode Island, you may want to speak with a slip and fall lawyer, who has knowledge of these types of cases. Often, a city or state is self-insured and they are not quick to settle these cases. Our firm has been handling slip and fall cases for years and there is no fee unless you win an award or settlement. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call our toll free number or fill out a contact form on our website.