Truck accidents, especially those between big rigs or tractor-trailers and smaller passenger vehicles often cause devastating injuries. We see that while the truck driver remains unharmed, the occupants of the smaller passenger vehicles suffer catastrophic or even fatal injuries. This is primarily because of the size and weight of these trucks. A large, commercial truck could weigh about 80,000 pounds. This is 20 times heavier than an average passenger vehicle. Logically, when the two collide, the passenger vehicle suffers more significant damage.
Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents often result in major injuries including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord trauma, multiple broken bones, internal organ damage and amputations. Truck accident victims may spend several weeks or months in the hospital or rehabilitation facility. They may not be able to return to work or earn an income until they recover completely. As a result, they may lose their earnings or even their livelihood. This can be a physically, emotionally and financially challenging time for victims and their families. A Rhode Island truck accident lawyer could help you.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
When a truck accident occurs as the result of the truck driver’s error or wrongdoing, both the driver and their employer could be held responsible for the victims’ injuries, damages and losses. Victims can seek compensation for their losses by filing a lawsuit. So, how can a Rhode Island truck accident lawyer help? Here are a few things a truck accident lawyer can do for you:
- A truck accident lawyer can help assess the cause of the accident. They will be able to review police reports, witness statements and other information to evaluate what happened.
- A lawyer will know who to include in your truck accident lawsuit. Truck accident cases can be complex and could involve several parties such as the driver, employer and insurance company. An experienced lawyer can help decide who should be in the case.
- A truck accident lawyer can also take the necessary steps to preserve key evidence in your case. After a truck accident, it is important to preserve critical evidence such as the truck driver’s phone records, driver logs and vehicle maintenance records. These pieces of evidence can help unlock facts that can be crucial to the case. When they are not preserved, this information can get lost or destroyed.
- A knowledgeable and experienced lawyer can also be a skilled negotiator who could manage the truck accident case to your advantage and get a favorable result for your losses.
- A truck accident lawyer will also be able to understand laws that are specific to the trucking industry such as laws regulating commercial driver’s licenses, working hours and laws relating to truck weight and vehicle maintenance.
Protect Your Rights
If you or someone you know has been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering and lost income, among other losses. An experienced Rhode Island truck accident lawyer at d’Oliveira & Associates will be able to help victims and families assess their options and take the best possible course of action. Our firm charges no legal fees unless you receive a settlement or award. For a free no obligation case evaluation, call us toll-free at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form online.