Our Pawtucket slip-and-fall accident lawyers know that these types of mishaps can occur anywhere and at any time. Whether you slip and fall in a supermarket aisle, a parking lot, mall, walkway or stairway, the injuries sustained in these accidents can leave you with long-term or even life-changing injuries. Many who suffer such injuries find themselves having to take time off from work in order to recover completely. Some others learn that they will never fully recover and may have some type of permanent injury or disability as a result of the accident.
Steps to Take after a Slip-and-Fall Accident
The initial steps you take after a slip-and-fall accident are often crucial to building your case and protecting your legal rights. Here are a few steps you may want to take following a slip-and-fall accident.
- Report the incident. Whether you fell in a store or apartment building, be sure to report the incident to the manager or property owner. Make sure the report is written and includes the time, date and what occurred. Get a copy of this report for your records as well.
- Do not panic. If you are injured on someone else’s property, be calm instead of getting angry or upset. Focus on obtaining as much information as possible and getting treatment for your injuries.
- Get as much information from the scene as possible. Collect names, phone numbers and addresses for possible witnesses. This type of information can be invaluable during the claims process.
- Take photographs of the location where you fell such as a stairway or an icy patch in a parking lot. A picture is worth a thousand words and can help significantly strengthen your case. Take photos right away because conditions can change and evidence can disappear very quickly.
- Get prompt medical attention for your injuries. This not only helps document your injuries, but also gives you the best shot at a quick and full recovery.
- Preserve any type of physical evidence you may have at the scene. This includes any torn or bloody clothing.
- Document all your losses including cost of emergency transportation, hospitalization, surgeries, treatment, rehabilitation, and the income you lost as a result of taking time off work.
- Contact an experienced Pawtucket slip-and-fall accident lawyer who can remain on your side, fight for your rights and ensure that you are fairly compensated for your injuries and losses.
Protecting Your Rights
The experienced Pawtucket slip-and-fall lawyers at d’Oliveira & Associates have the knowledge and resources it takes to ensure that your case goes smoothly and successfully. Our lawyers know how to collect documents and communicate with insurance companies to protect your rights. If you are not mobile due to your injury, we can come to your home or to the hospital at no charge. We work on a contingent fee basis, which means that we do not charge you anything until we recover compensation for you. Call us toll-free at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for a free no obligation case evaluation.