Rhode Island may be the nation’s smallest state, but its population is growing. According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s latest figures, Rhode Island’s population grew for the fourth straight year in 2015 with the number of Rhode Island residents increasing to 1,056,298. From this growth, the state’s demographics have also changed significantly. In addition, neighboring states are also growing. For example, Massachusetts’ population also grew in 2015 by about 39,000 residents to reach 6.8 million. The increase in population could lead to more car accidents with more drivers on the road. If you have been injured in a car accident, contact a Providence, RI car accident lawyer.
How Can More Drivers Affect Roadway Safety?
When the population of an area increases, there is also a risk of car accidents occurring simply because there are more drivers and vehicles on the roadway. This is also a result of more drivers travelling between states and different types of drivers on the road. For example, a population increase could result in newer, less experienced drivers on the road. In addition, as this population ages, there will be more senior drivers on the road. These factors combined with the general growth in the number drivers increases the chances of car accidents occurring.
What Are Common Causes Of Car Accidents?
As roadways become more crowded, car accidents may occur for reasons such as:
- Excessive speed: Speeding is one of the most common causes of car accidents. This may involve drivers who do not follow the speed limit or drivers who operate vehicles at an unsafe speed in traffic or adverse weather conditions.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs can cause major injury or fatal collisions.
- Distracted driving: Cell phone use while driving has led to a significant increase in auto accidents caused by distracted or inattentive drivers.
- Fatigued driving: There are more fatigued or drowsy drivers on the roadway than we know. This is also a common cause of car accidents.
- Failure to follow driving laws: Running a red light or stop sign, making unsafe turns or failing to yield are examples of failure to follow the rules of the road.
Contact a Providence, RI Car Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you know has been injured a car accident, contact one of our experienced Providence car accident lawyers located at 390 Broadway, Providence, RI 02909. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering, among other losses. No fees are received unless you win your case. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 401-831-8600 or toll free at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out our contact form online.