Work-Related Injury in Providence, RIInjuries at work happen more frequently than you may think. In fact, the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training reported that in 2017 over 18,000 Rhode Island employees were injured while at work. This number reflects the number of injuries reported on worker’s compensation claims filed. Work-related injuries can mean missed time at work and lost wages, all while bills and expenses continue to add up. Many times, an injured employee will need to seek medical treatment and ongoing therapy to fully recover. It is important to understand when and how to get treatment for a work-related injury. An experienced Providence workers’ compensation lawyer can help you with this process and may be able to file a Providence workers’ compensation lawsuit on your behalf.

When Should You Get Treatment if Injured at Work?

Work-Related InjuryIt is always best to seek medical attention immediately after an injury at work. You should notify your employer of the injury and seek the appropriate medical attention right away. Prompt treatment is important because a delay may result in the insurance company denying your workers’ compensation claim. Insurance companies are often skeptical of claims where the injured worker is not treated right away because they figure that if you were really hurt, you would have gone to the doctor. Even if you think the injury may be minor, it is still a good idea to seek medical attention as minor injuries can get worse over time if not treated. You should also inform your employer that you are planning to file a workers’ compensation claim, and they should assist you in obtaining the correct forms.

Where Should You Get Treatment for Work Injuries?

woman injured in work-related injuryIf your injury is serious or life-threatening, you should go to an emergency room right away. For minor injuries, you may seek medical attention through your primary care doctor. Make sure to let your doctor know that you were injured while at work. Each state has different rules about the treatment of work-related injuries, so it is important to understand how these rules will impact you. In Rhode Island, you may choose the first doctor you see for a work-related injury. If you wish to change providers or see a specialist, you will need to check with your employer or insurer to see if they have a list of approved providers, also referred to as a “preferred provider network.” If they do not, you may choose another provider on your own or with the help of your primary care doctor.

Contact an Experienced Providence Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Experienced Providence work-related injury LawyerIf you have been injured while at work, you may be entitled to collect workers’ compensation benefits for lost wages, medical bills, and, in some cases, a lump sum settlement, among other benefits. Our firm works with experienced workers’ compensation lawyers in the Providence area, and there are no legal fees unless you receive an award or settlement. For a free (no obligation) case evaluation, call us at 1-401-831-8600 or toll free at 1-800-992-6878. You may also fill out a contact form online.


Author Photo

Paul d’Oliveira

Attorney Paul d’Oliveira has been practicing personal injury and disability law for over 30 years. He started his personal injury law practice in 1989 with two offices in Fall River, MA and East Providence, RI. Today his firm has 16 offices in RI and Southeastern, MA.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars