Most RI employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance for all of their employees. There are exceptions for first responders and other municipal employees. Independent contractors are also not covered by workers’ compensation, nor are smaller businesses or farm businesses.

Injured Worker on a construction site needing a Providence Workers’ Compensation lawyer

What does RI Workers’ Compensation Provide to Out-of-work Employees?

RI workers’ compensation is a kind of insurance. Workers’ comp usually doesn’t look at who was at fault for the injury to the employee in the workplace. It is only concerned with whether the employee is out-of-work and whether the insurance covers the injury. If the injury wasn’t work-related, then other programs such as Social Security disability insurance or temporary disability insurance might be able to pick up the slack.

Does Workers’ Compensation Choose What Doctors Provide Treatment?

If you have a doctor when you get injured on the job, you may be able to stay with your doctor. If you change doctors, you may be required to ask your employer if they have a pre-approved list of doctors provided by their insurer. If so, you may have to go to one of those doctors if you want to switch providers.

man in hospital due to an injury while on the job

Do I Have to Return to Work?

You’re obligated to return to work if you are able to work. If you’re still able to do the same kind of work that you did before you were injured, you generally have a right to return to the same job at the same pay.

Do I need a Providence Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?

Providence Workers’ Compensation LawyerYou need a Providence workers’ compensation attorney who can work to protect your rights. If you were injured on the job, and need workers’ compensation, you should consider contacting an attorney who handles worker’s compensation claims and can get you the benefits you deserve. Although you may not need an attorney to file a workers’ compensation claim, you do might need an attorney if you are being denied benefits. A Providence workers’ compensation lawyer will be able to answer your questions and help you make important legal decisions.

Do You Need a Lawyer to Handle Your Workers’ Compensation Case?

d’Oliveira & Associates works with workers’ compensation attorneys. Please contact the law offices of d’Oliveira & Associates at 1-800-992-6878 or fill out a contact form for a free legal consultation.